Bespoke installs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picking up on one of Steptoe's posts about phase colours in Yellow   White    Blue and wondered how many oddities have been encountered at different places.

I can start with a hospital where all steel couplers on boxes & boards had to be flange couplers , consisting of steel coupler with flange ...thick lead washer....serrated steel washer &  full length heavy gauge brass bush and saddles were the " hospital" saddles which stand off a full 1/2 inch .    Never used those couplers before or since.

Reason for the latter is so that dirt & gunge doesn't collect behind the conduit.

Another was a local authority , did some school work for them , all pyro ,for no particular reason had to be the heavy grade    . So where we would have used say, 2L1.5   there it was 2H1.5 for general use.

Also had a forman years ago who connected phases left to right   Blu....Yell....Red  .    And the old Bill type fuseboards  top to bottom Blu...Yell...Red.

One thing that made sense was at a local university,  all general purpose lighting was done with 5ft fluorescent fittings,  even a store cupboard would have a 5ft in it if possible , if not those early Thorn 16w X 2D fittings .   Do not fit anything else !!!

The reason was for maintenance not having to stock anything other than a 5ft tube  and 16w x 2Ds ....for general purposes anyway .    Makes sense on a large campus.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I once went to do some alterations in a house and found the entire ring finals wired in red / yel / blue 1.5 3c&e with the CPC not connected (yellow used as earth) the owner swore that it was a local firm of electricians that rewired it like that.

I get to work on weird council specs and architects wet dreams from the 1970's, stuff like ceiling heating wired in pyro buried in concrete and strange solar thermal setups that haven't worked since the day they were put in!

There is also all the stuff that has now become part M that I've been installing to for years now (common sense I believe it's called).

What did you do , fit a 16A  MCB

Actually I can see an apprentice mistaking that 3 core for  2.5  and running it in .
Yes it was more a case of "wrong" rather than "bespoke"  You are probably right about how it happened and there was an "oh ******" moment when they stripped the cables. I guess they carried on then as "nobody would notice" which I guess is true as it was at least 10 years ago they did this and it hasn't burned down yet.

Yes I solved it by fitting a 16A MCB Not much else you could do apart from rip it all out and do it properly.

Yes it was more a case of "wrong" rather than "bespoke"  You are probably right about how it happened and there was an "oh ******" moment when they stripped the cables. I guess they carried on then as "nobody would notice" which I guess is true as it was at least 10 years ago they did this and it hasn't burned down yet.

Yes I solved it by fitting a 16A MCB Not much else you could do apart from rip it all out and do it properly.

@ProDave

Was it a ring circuit??

Yes. Still be pushing it on a 32A mcb though.

Possibly a 20A could have worked?

Doc H

I can start with a hospital where all steel couplers on boxes & boards had to be flange couplers , consisting of steel coupler with flange ...thick lead washer....serrated steel washer &  full length heavy gauge brass bush and saddles were the " hospital" saddles which stand off a full 1/2 inch .    Never used those couplers before or since.
Flanged couplers are used universally here (although not normally with serrated washers additionally).

Flanged couplers are used universally here (although not normally with serrated washers additionally).
Yeah, i didn't think it was a big deal to use flanged couplings. Non flanged to join conduit to conduit everything else has to be flanged.

Must be an Irish thing then guys ....only used them once in the last 100 years.   Perhaps the engineer was Irish  , he didn't sound it.   I do remember he would grab a conduit drop and wrench at it with both hands to test the fixings   and put his magnetic bubble on them .  

Anyone else use flanged couplers & lead washers in Britain ?  :C

Flanged couplers along with a lead sealing washer were a mandatory part of our quarry spec. 

Especially when quite a lot of the legacy plant relied on the conduit system as a CPC they made perfect sense. 

I've also seen the serrated washers, only used those a handful of times. 

Using conduit as the cpc is fine.

Trouble is the big consultancies doing the designs can't rely on this, nor the SWA as being an adequate cpc, as they cannot be sure that the cables/conduit will be correctly installed & terminated.

So, they know that there will be issues, they just avoid them, bu specifying an additional cpc conductor.

Sad or what.

Latest posts