Bespoke installs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee, if you do any amount of conduit work the block is far quicker for sets than faffing about with a hilmore bender.

BTW you need enough length of conduit to give leverage, either that or muscles like He Man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee, if you do any amount of conduit work the block is far quicker for sets than faffing about with a hilmore bender.

BTW you need enough length of conduit to give leverage, either that or muscles like He Man.
That's what I was thinking. I've got an underground carpark on a block of flats I'm doing atm and wouldn't mind giving it a go just to see what its like. will have to get the dimensions etc and get my chippie mate to knock one up :signthankspin:

I would like.to.add I can terminate an.armoured correctly with pirahna nuts or.banjos bolt and earth lugged but I still prefer a secondary earth path for own peace of.mind

That American bloke that is round here will know more but the US floor benders look handy. Not sure what gauge they go up to though?

I would like.to.add I can terminate an.armoured correctly with pirahna nuts or.banjos bolt and earth lugged but I still prefer a secondary earth path for own peace of.mind

Badger,

I would never suggest that you can't.

It is just an overkill on most jobs, and it seems that too many people these days believe that it is illegal, or not-compliant with regs.

TBH, I will willingly use 3 core as it is too much hassle to order 2 core for single phase.

However, I will also use 3c for balanced 3ph work also, i.e. no N.

As an aside, funnily enough, I don't think that my main wholesaler carries 5c!...

So how is it then relating to Andy & EE's posts that the 5ww won't use 2C for 1ph, but will use 3c for 3ph and don't demand 5c for TPNE?...

Last 5C I installed was a 95mm sq and SY wasn't an option, neither was 4C as it was also a bonding conductor, and 50mm sq 6491 wasn't an option either!

I've never seen a bending block or know how to use one being a youngster :Blushing  Do you know of any videos as would be interested to see it work?
Probably none there Lee,  its basically a lump of hardwood with a hole through it .   I used one when I first started but on leaving engineering  works to finish apprenticeship with a contractor  I found they never used blocks , just pipe vice /benders , which , in my opinion are far more accurate and easy to use .   

I always use armour as cpc from choice, but we are it seems overrun with 5WW round here because none of the wholesalers stock it anymore.

It's 3 core or special order for 2 core with carriage and minimum orders!

I even had one sales guy in a wholesaler tell me 2 core was illegal!

I just laughed.

Saved quite a bit on even 2.5 2c when we bought 20km of the stuff over 3c.

The issue with adding an external cpc is that it has to be fully rated, you can't just "top up" if the swa is too small.

I do like Piranha nuts too.
So do I TBH  .   Don't actually remember ever running a separate earth .   

In industry / commercial it would be a 4 core  3Ph +N   SWA as earth.  

For domestic  S/Phase garage/ shed supply I use the 3 core  LN&E . 

Never used any 5 core AFAICR  , plenty of multi core from 7 core upwards though. 

That American bloke that is round here will know more but the US floor benders look handy. Not sure what gauge they go up to though?
I actually have a 20mm one.....made by GB benders I think ( A Barrymore Company!)

must have had it 20 years

also got a set of RIDGID USA zones but obviously they are Imperial

will try to post a pic tomorrow

I've never seen a bending block or know how to use one being a youngster :Blushing  Do you know of any videos as would be interested to see it work?
Ahha,

I knew I had seen in a picture of one in use in one of my books. It was when Tony S mentioned Stubbs Enclopedia in his knowledge base stuff that it twigged where it was. Spent the last hour raking it out.

PS I last used a bending block in the 80's, think I would struggle with one now.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Nice books Roy's, I'd like to get my hands on some of them, I like to see how things used to be done (properly) . :D

Back OT attended a recent rewire to move a socket all done in FP on the surface! :eek:
Quite a few sets of them on ebay, for example: Buy It Now on item 172361449964 just shy of £20 sounds like a good deal to me.

That set looks the same as mine, they are a very nice set of books.