best corded drill

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
whats the best drill for going thru joists.

my battery charger packed in the other day so I had to use my milwauke 1100watt diamond core drill and it sailed thru the joists but didnt have reverse on it so wasted a bit of time getting the bit unstuck with a pair of grips.

but ive decided to invest in a good corded joist drill so what do you guys use??

thanks

carl

Ive got the Makita angled drill driver.... not cheap but a seriously good piece of kit for joist work.Guiness Drink

I've got a 5 year old DeWalt 18v cordless angle drill,, plenty of torque and it has fwd/rev!!

I find that the main factor when drilling joists is the drill bit that you use,, I have some fatmax ones similar to these, which go through wood really well (at low speed) and seem to use less battery power.

i found those fat max /irwin type to create too much torque for my old drill. esp on new builds in the winter if joists slightly damp. what size holes you drilling I usually do a 25mm x 2 full run along landing

I tend to use a Bosch SDS-Plus or the 36v battery version, its a good all rounder for everything,its got both fwd/rev and a high speed/high torque, swithch thing... obviously dont go useing the hammer function for the joists... ive found that no matter what drill bit i use in it they all give out the same life span give or take 10 mins..., its not worth forking out loads for the better drillbits as there just too expencive for the use you get out of it , unless you only use it once or twice a month.....

plus have a habbit of breaking my tools (its truly terrible how i go through them) and this i havent broken it yet (touch wood), so i can say it takes a right old bashing, as with all the Bosch's ive used.

altho this drill isnt gr8 for small gaps between the joists its a bit big for that... although ive heard only good thing about Bosch Angle Drills eg:Bosch GWB 10RE Angle Drill

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a 110v makita SDS and a 230v dewalt. both good drills, but with the makita, the safety clutch often goes when it gets to the end of the hole so needs pulled back and pushed through slowly. my dewalt 24V sds is the best drill i have ever used for getting through joists, but its a bit impractical for loads of holes though

Get a proper angled drill. I have a makita 110v one had it for about 7 years with no problems although for a few holes I tend to use my hilti battery drill.

Batty

agree with the use good and SHARP drill bits make light work

i need to get one of those GH, i knew i was missing something using a battery drill!

As a bit of a side point screwfix have a very good deal on a corded bosch with a drill driver for

you electricains are so 80`s .... circular saw everytime and cram the cables in with the pipes, i can get 9 cables and 4 x 22mm pipes in 1 notch ..