Best course?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisfca

Reaction score
Hallo!

I'm looking for a complete change of career. I work full time and I'm 32 years old, but I would really like to become an electrician. Advise very welcome! There are a few courses around but so difficult to decide, I don't want to be conned! Thks a lot

I think, in my opinion, the best route to go down is with your local college via evening classes. Although it's a long process from what I've read and heard, company's that offer quick courses are expensive and not worth the financial cost. Although I'm sure some other folk will provide more info on this.

Start off with the NVQ level 2 (think its changed to something else as of September) and then proceed on to the city and guilds qualifications. Pop to your local college when they begin the open evenings and ask them what's involved.

If you do decide to go to college you can attempt to get a job in the trade, although this could prove difficult at this point in time.

Hope that helps

Agreed...

Go find your local college that does the G&G electrical courses...

See if you can get and appointment for a brief chat with the head of the electrical dept'

They will be able to give best advice at to courses, costs, timescales based on any existing skills qualifications you may have..

Guinness

Agreed...Go find your local college that does the G&G electrical courses...

See if you can get and appointment for a brief chat with the head of the electrical dept'

They will be able to give best advice at to courses, costs, timescales based on any existing skills qualifications you may have..

Guinness
C&G ??

C&G ??
guilds are gash ?

people keep saying its going to change to a module based system? if it is not a clue.

visiting your college is your best bet , see what they say is happening and were to go .although if it is like mine there will be a waiting list so dont dordle get down there.

guilds are gash ?people keep saying its going to change to a module based system? if it is not a clue.

visiting your college is your best bet , see what they say is happening and were to go .although if it is like mine there will be a waiting list so dont dordle get down there.
Thats an important point as many electrical courses are oversubscribed.

Doc H.

i asked the same question last year

The reply i got was go to evening classes and start off with

a City and Guilds 2330 Level 2 201

then work your self-up from there

should take you 3 years

like everybody says start a college it will fly over and try and get some work with a local spark give you more chance of getting a start when finished college.

Latest posts