Bike Test!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, today was the big day... My module two bike test!!

Never been on a course or anything, just trailered my bike over there and off i went.

So what happened??

Passed, no points whatsoever, a perfect score. Examiner said he has only done two tests like that in his life and that i put an "amazing amount of thought" into my driving.

Go me!!!! Unrestricted bike licence, total outlay was just the test fees, £100 cbt, £31 theory test, £15.50 Module one, £75 module two.

Go me big style!!!

john..

Well done,

Remember, you don't need an R1 to have fun,

We done an endurance race a couple of years back where one of our riders was the 2nd fastest overall bike on the track for the first 3hrs, that was on a 400 with R1s., Blades etc out there,. Then the gearbox on our bike went huffy and we dropped to 6th fastest, but still won our class and finished something like 7th overall in a field of about 40 with >50% being 600+

Well done John, be careful as others have said. Ride defensively and always have a plan when you see a car at a junction - be ready to take avoiding action!

I would recommend something like a yamaha XJ600 as first 'biggish' bike....

Sorry - Tour de France. The cheese eating surrender monkeys are so dumb that they think Yorkshire is in France, somehow.

Awww Apache,

You must be well pissed off...

Got to laugh though, i had to take the bike [my 600 Bandit "S"] to the test centre on the trailer i just built, [especially for test day!] as i nearly got arrested last time for driving it there without a licence. But then the examiner told me he had seen me loading the bike on the trailer that morning. Perhaps he lives near me and has seen me on it loads of times!!!! Oooerrrr...

Speaking of idiots, someone in a van nearly ran me off the road on my test. It was only avoiding action by me, [ and the examiner that also got killed] that avoided an accident. This was on a roundabout. Apparently it is quite a common thing for someone to be on a test, and a corner cutting loony overtake them at a SINGLE LANE crossroads, complete with traffic lights, while the person on test is busy turning right. The other day i was out and about, speed limit changed from a 50 to a 30, and the twat behind in an artic lorry decides to nearly run into the back of me, [i was on the bike] blowing the horn because i had the temerity to observe the speed limit. They then attempted to run around the out side of me, going straight ahead on a small roundabout, they could have killed me, and only avoiding action by me prevented this, as i was in their blind spot, [ i know exactly where this is, i got a class one HGV myself]

Should have got their number and informed the traffic area office, That would have seen their licence revoked there and then.... Traffic commissioners do NOT play games....

john..

Congratulations on passing a proper test.

When I did mine I just had to ride around with the examiner following me on his bike telling me where to go and when to do my emergency stop. None of this theory malarky back then.

The theory test is mainly common sense, the "hazard perception" though, being a computer based test, is very subjective. Often you will see a clear hazard, say a cyclist, but if you click before they deem you to be close enough to have to start to worry, you will score no points. Basically, to pass you need to watch 14 videos, each contains one hazard [one clip contains 2] serious enough to require you to take some sort of action. To score the required number of points to pass, you have to score 3 out of 5 on each video. Because of how the scoring works, you need to click within 2 seconds, of when the computer thinks you should, on all 14 clips..... This means that if you click say a tenth of a second to early, you score 0 The scoring zone should slope up and down, not be a fixed 5 second box...

Module one, provided you have good low speed control, is easy, provided you can ride a bike properly that is, The training schools devote about 16 hours to this, but i just did it right first time. Was certainly not fun to do though!!

Module two is just as easy, PROVIDED, that is, you ride exactly to the "book". HUGE problem is, even though the DSA do publish books, massive chunks of stuff you NEED to know are left out deliberately to force you to go to a training school. This was, for legal reasons, not possible for me, i could not have if i wanted to. Luckily, i have a massive amount of driving experience anyway and know exactly what is required, hence a perfect score, with no faults at all. It just boils down to proper use of speed, proper observations, and proper road positioning, which on a bike is a LOT more complicated than in a car. Get this right though, and you are GUARANTEED to pass...

john..

The theory test is mainly common sense, the "hazard perception" though, being a computer based test, is very subjective. Often you will see a clear hazard, say a cyclist, but if you click before they deem you to be close enough to have to start to worry, you will score no points. Basically, to pass you need to watch 14 videos, each contains one hazard [one clip contains 2] serious enough to require you to take some sort of action. To score the required number of points to pass, you have to score 3 out of 5 on each video. Because of how the scoring works, you need to click within 2 seconds, of when the computer thinks you should, on all 14 clips..... This means that if you click say a tenth of a second to early, you score 0 The scoring zone should slope up and down, not be a fixed 5 second box...

wonder how well that would work in court after an accident

police: you should have seen that cyclist 300 metres away

you: I did, but from my theory test he was too far away to be concerned about, so i ignored him until the last second like the computer said i must do in order to pass the test

Luckily - don`t have to do that carp - Grandfather rights, and all that.

Thanks John - I failed that ( 38 ) - Thin i either didn`t consider it a hazard worth clicking, or clicked it too soon - say lah vee :slap

But-  I can drive a 7.5T + trailer, on my standard licence - and have done more than once.

And I used to have HGV ( can`t pass the medical now) - courtesy of Royal Navy - test goes like this:

"Jump in the Scammell low loader - drive to the end of the yard - turn it round - put it back where you got it from. Here`s your HGV ticket" :slap

Last edited by a moderator: