Bin Or Linux?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OnOff you do know that you can get a USB/PS2 adapter, I think I have several in 20 year old PC parts box.

They are green from memory, plug USB keyboard into it, then plug that into the PS2 socket and job done.
Yep, cheers for that. Got a couple somewhere too! Just couldn't find them at the time so borrowed a PS2 keyboard today.

Just kicking myself now that I ditched the collection of "old" pc bits, cards etc a few years back - just kept the HDDs. The one spare graphics card I have is the wrong connector etc and I guess too "modern" anyway (its a 512MB 8500GT).

what is the graphics card again?

or, what slots have you?

if we can get some form of *buntu running to get

sudo lshwor even just

lshwrunning we can get exact specs and work on something from there,

fluxbox is just a front end for slitaz, as I understand it, I havent used slitaz in any great way, but, Im guessing it will be installable from a terminal once slitaz is running.

Pics of the card:

Taking an AGE to load this SliTaz 4.0 tonight! I've gone for SliTaz Core Live? When the menu comes up first I only get a few seconds to decide before it defaults to the first option on the menu:

As far as this screen so far, does this look right?

EDIT: Seems to be just "hanging" at the last pic!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting somewhere!

Got the SliTaz Live desktop up. I see an option for installing to HDD but then a window comes up asking for a user name and password at the Tazpanel site:

core live is exactly that,

its just a core for you to build upon, AFAIAA it doesnt come with anything but a kernel and some drivers.

ok, hang fire,

try

root

root

works for me  :)

in BT the pw is

toor

core live is exactly that,

its just a core for you to build upon, AFAIAA it doesnt come with anything but a kernel and some drivers.

ok, hang fire,

try

root

root

works for me  :)

in BT the pw is

toor
You're a star! root root works. Now at the TazPanel installer and I am "excecuting Gparted" as this seems the next step, this is what I have at the mo:

What does "in BT the pw is toor" mean? BT as in my ISP people?

NOT a frickin clue what to do with this Gparted though as in how best to partiition, I only have a 20GB HDD (also a spare 6GB in there loose and not connected) any suggestions?

do you have to use gparted? or is there an option to just auto configure/use whole disk?

Im not sure how big a root filesystem slitaz needs,

but Im sure 8G would be more than plenty if you need to specify, Ubuntu can run right down to just under 5G if you dont add too many bells on

do you have to use gparted? or is there an option to just auto configure/use whole disk?

Im not sure how big a root filesystem slitaz needs,

but Im sure 8G would be more than plenty if you need to specify, Ubuntu can run right down to just under 5G if you dont add too many bells on
Not sure.........reading this at the mo. Option below this text is to either excecute Gparted or continue the install "once you've made roomfor SliTaz you should be able to continue the install"..........

Going to leave this for tonight, made a mess of using Gparted I think! Rebooting I just get this now:

Cheers.

kk,

I'll have a better look at it tomorrow for you.

am watching the bikes just now,  :D
Ta, I'm watching Footloose remembering when I fancied the pants of that Lori Singer! Now she just looks skinny, guess I'm too used to fat ones now!

Seriously, cheers for your help.

Ta, I'm watching Footloose remembering when I fancied the pants of that Lori Singer! Now she just looks skinny, guess I'm too used to fat ones now!

Seriously, cheers for your help.
And then you find out that the big dance scene near the end was done by a bloke :eek:

Or am i thinking of a different film

Oh I am..... Footloose:|

Evening. Somehow or other I have managed to get over the partitioning problems and install SliTaz 4.0 to this old pc. I'm on it now in fact.

Seems quite a few features on it. I've managed to install VLC and Skype for a start. Can't seem as yet t play a DVD - will have to work on that.

But, the built in browser options, I have:

- Midori Web Browser

- Midori Private Browsing

- Retawq Web Browser

- TazWeb Browser

Any opinions / comments on what's best to use as the default one?  

Then antivirus software.........on a pc I'd have used AVG free but not a clue what to use on this!

Cheers

antivirus,

you shouldnt need it unless you log in as root,

anything that wants to 'execute' itself needs your specific permission, if something asks you if it can run and you didnt start it then simply deny it,

does the PC have a dvd player? VLC has played anything and everything Ive every thrown at it, and there is some weird stuff/formats ive asked it to play,

have you updated yet? i believe slitaz uses  sudox  in lieu of sudo,

open a terminal [try    ctrl+alt+t  ] and try  sudox apt-get update

midori is a VERY lightweight browser, as for private, does what it says on the tin, as soon as you close it it forgets everything you just done, no history, cookies or anything left behind.

antivirus,

you shouldnt need it unless you log in as root,

anything that wants to 'execute' itself needs your specific permission, if something asks you if it can run and you didnt start it then simply deny it,

does the PC have a dvd player? VLC has played anything and everything Ive every thrown at it, and there is some weird stuff/formats ive asked it to play,

have you updated yet? i believe slitaz uses  sudox  in lieu of sudo,

open a terminal [try    ctrl+alt+t  ] and try  sudox apt-get update

midori is a VERY lightweight browser, as for private, does what it says on the tin, as soon as you close it it forgets everything you just done, no history, cookies or anything left behind.
Yep, the pc has an Emprex 8x DVD rewriter. Off to try your suggestions!

Maybe getting ahead of myself here (for deffo) but is there anyway to change the desktop skin on SliTaz to say a 'buntu looking one?

have you had a look at fluxbox yet?

I really need to get slitaz fired up on this old laptop I have [that has no keys, so usb keyboard),

dell inspiron [circa 2001] with a celeron M and 512ram, it runs ubuntu 10.04 [just usable], so Im thinking slitaz should fly on it,  :D

actually, Im going to do it right now, while I fill in some certs.....

.exe  does NOT work , its a windoze filesystem

.tar .rpm and .deb are all *nix filesystems

plus some others
That link is the one you pointed me to.............says "Ubuntu Karaoke Cd G" but the download is a .exe?

LOST with this Fluxbox.....head hurts