Bird watching camera

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANeale

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a small day/night cctv camera with audio that could be used for birds nest watching? Ive been asked whether I could set something up, Im sure I can but this is a first for me.

I have some spare camera units but they're all too big and chunky. It will need to be powered off a transformer, so a wired camera would be fine unless there's a very low power unit available. Are birds sensitive to camera/power signals btw?, would it disturb them?

Any recommendations welcome, especially if you've seen a particular unit in use for this kind of thing.

Are birds sensitive to camera/power signals btw?, would it disturb them?
I wouldn't have thought so, as the nature programmes showing them in the actual bird houses are filmed 24 hours a day and the camers are in there long before the bird and they aren't reomved until the birds leave the nest.

I wonder if the BBC's technical department will help you, if you E-mail them? :|

Pump them for info. :D

are you sure the bird in question wont complain to the police if she finds out you've put a camera outside her bedroom window?

the only interference you might suffer with will be with her husbands fists and your nose ;)

are you sure the bird in question wont complain to the police if she finds out you've put a camera outside her bedroom window?the only interference you might suffer with will be with her husbands fists and your nose ;)
:^O :^O:^O

You can buy a specific thingDIRECT CONNECT|BBCAMMA|CAMERA BIRD BOX KIT | CPC
Good grief, there's actually something for that very purpose? Well that'll be just dandy. Im going to feel really odd fitting that, it'll be the smallest house I've ever worked on. :)

Hi sorry been away for a couple of days.

What you are looking for is a low LUX camera, normal purchase is down to 2 LUX you are looking at 0.5 preferably 0.25 Lux.

Do not use a sodium light as back ground as these interfere with the quality of picture during nightime watching/ recording.

Cost is an obvious factor,decide whether colour in the day and black and white in low light levels.

What do they want to watch it on tv or dedicated moniter, got to ask the questions you will not get broadcast quality from a fixed lense unless a dedicated target area.

Open to any questions I have been to the south west last 3 days looking and adjusting similar equipment. (not domestic use)

Bassman

Hi sorry been away for a couple of days.What you are looking for is a low LUX camera, normal purchase is down to 2 LUX you are looking at 0.5 preferably 0.25 Lux.

Do not use a sodium light as back ground as these interfere with the quality of picture during nightime watching/ recording.

Cost is an obvious factor,decide whether colour in the day and black and white in low light levels.

What do they want to watch it on tv or dedicated moniter, got to ask the questions you will not get broadcast quality from a fixed lense unless a dedicated target area.

Bassman
Hmmm, now your asking some questions there for which I dont have the slightest idea, so after a brief phone call...

- Colour during the day, B/W when dark

- They want to watch it on their TV and record on VCR

- Dont need audio

- Having a wired system would be ok (they dont mind me running a cable)

- The bird box is about 20m from their TV/VCR

Bassman, whereabouts in the southwest were you & was it for a certain bbc nature programme?

Re: Bird watching camera

Bassman, whereabouts in the southwest were you & was it for a certain bbc nature programme?

No nothing to do with BBC Only experience with camea's and integrated systems mostly to do with goverment type contracts sorry bit vague,closest thing is the security industry.Many years in the industry.

In answer to ANEALE's question 20 metres you wont really get a good light coveridge at night time with any cheapo camera with built in leds for the infra red range max usually up to ten metres.Let as in all things cost is the main constraint.To be fair a decent camera and lens will be worth it but a bit over kill to watch a nesting box.

I will check out some sites for the spec and prices .

In answer to ANEALE's question 20 metres you wont really get a good light coveridge at night time with any cheapo camera with built in leds for the infra red range max usually up to ten metres.Let as in all things cost is the main constraint.To be fair a decent camera and lens will be worth it but a bit over kill to watch a nesting box.

I will check out some sites for the spec and prices .
Ah, I think I've given you the wrong end of the stick there Blushing The camera would be mounted at/on/in the box, so very short range. The cable back to their TV/VCR is ~20m.

Makro ad
img035.jpg
This week