blooming strappers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
evening chaps,

ok job on at the moment, customer wants center light in bed room and wall lights next to the bed (one each side), she also wants to turn the the lights off/on from the door and both sides of the bed.

the lights are looped through the switches, so i would like to confirm what i need to do.

door switch- loop in/out

bed lights

center light

strapper for bed lights

strapper for center light

Bed switch 1 intermediat - feed to light/out to other light

- srtapper for bed lights

strapper for center

bed switch 2 feed to light

strapper for bed light

strapper for center

just seems like a lot of cables.

if this is wrong please let me know lol

thanks

paul

Ok, easiest thing is make them all 2 gangs and switch the 2 bedside lights in parallel. One switch will have to be a grid to make it a double intermediate, so the one by the door to keep it even. I'd probably junction box it and just run the 2 sets of switchwires as you would normally (twin to first from JB, 3 core between others)

Slightly more better way is to make each bedside light individually switched so you get 2 2 ways and a 3 way. Probably do it though a JB again but put the centre light on a 3 way with intermediate by the door on a grid and then drop a twin to either side of the bed from the JB and 3 core to switch by door for other 2 switches.

There's no real set way to do things like this, you just need to think about what you want. Sometimes you do end up with a lot of cables. If you do have a lot of cables in each switch looka t what you've got and see if anything is duplicated, for instance if you're running 2 2 ways side by side you could drop one of the legs of a 3 core as it is just carrying the permenant live so can be jumped from the other 3 core.

I just did some work at a job that someone else had first fixed. I don;t even think I could have had as many cables in each switch as he did even if I was trying to waste cable. There was only 2 sets of 2 way lights and a 1 way for some undercupboard lights. I still can;t fathom what he did, but if he'd have stood back and though about it he wouldn;t have ended up with 3 feeds at each end and loads of looped parallel links.

thanks lurch, you say JB it... so from switch to jb 2 t&e out 1 to first light 1 to second?

i was thinking of using 2 gang on all 3 and have 1 t gang 2way inter (tlc sell them)

thanks lurch, you say JB it... so from switch to jb 2 t&e out 1 to first light 1 to second?
However you like, your way is as easy as any. Cold do that or run 1 to each light. Don't neccesarily need to try and get it all in one JB either, could have 1 JB for feeds, one for switchwires etc..., or wire it all with a large adaptable box instead of several JB's.

Like I say, there's as many ways of wiring this as there are members of this forum!

make it wireless and add a programmer . :)

or add a pir then she dont need any switches hehe

this is what i have done in my bedroom during the renovation :)

two wall lights, 4 LED spots all 2-way+intemediate from doorway and either side of the bed.

this is what i have done in my bedroom during the renovation :) two wall lights, 4 LED spots all 2-way+intemediate from doorway and either side of the bed.
Excellent way to do it my friend nice and simple all terminations easy peasy.