Blue / Black Neutral?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon.

Reaction score
I am replacing a touch sensor switch with a wifi switch, however the new switch requires a neutral wire which the switch I'm replacing hasn't. In the light switch box is 3 wires capped together 2 black and 1 blue, am i right in saying that these are the neutral wires, as its an oldish house, black wires being the old style wiring and the blue the new style.

Probably, but no-one can be sure without testing, let alone over the internet. However, the blue isn't "new" wiring but a core of old Red/Yellow/Blue 3 + earth cable.

Probably, but no-one can be sure without testing, let alone over the internet. However, the blue isn't "new" wiring but a core of old Red/Yellow/Blue 3 + earth cable.

The 2 black and blue wires are capped together, of not neutral coils they be hot wires although the love wire is attached to the old switch.

First time I heard the term strappers I thought someone was pulling my leg, lighting circuits can have all sorts of colour combinations depending on who installed it ,
It was also the first time I heard the saying red to red, black to black ,and blue to ……
At least it looks like all live or neutral conductors have insulation, Ive to repair a few where the cables run were only 2 core and earth and the earth ended up being used as a live !.
Anyway the only way to tell what is what is by testing