Bollard light replacements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpjamesjump

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a fairly newly qualified electrician and have had a callout to a car park with a number of the bollard LED lights not working. I've looked fairly extensively on the internet I can't find anything in stock, would anyone know where to get replacements for the lights in the pictures, or at least a light with the same size fixing powered directly from 230V ac?  Any help would be much appreciated.

They are acrich2 8.7w seoul semiconductors, smje-3v08w2p4

car park light 1.jpg

car park light 2.jpg

On jobs like that you often find the original fittings are  unobtainable  .   Your best bet is to give one to your wholesaler  who can deal with various lighting companies .  Their technical sales guys  know what fittings are in the system  and can advise you. 

I think the op has dismantled an integrated fitting

the problem with lots of these LED lights, is that they don’t last ......and spares aren’t available .... so the only course of action , is to replace the whole unit or units 

On jobs like that you often find the original fittings are  unobtainable  .   Your best bet is to give one to your wholesaler  who can deal with various lighting companies .  Their technical sales guys  know what fittings are in the system  and can advise you. 

I think the op has dismantled an integrated fitting

the problem with lots of these LED lights, is that they don’t last ......and spares aren’t available .... so the only course of action , is to replace the whole unit or units 

1) RIP out

2) bin

3) fit new

4) invoice

5) get paid

6) in 3 years time see 1)
Thank you very much all,  I'll be sure to write down your carefully thought out systematic approach Kerching

Hi, I'm a fairly newly qualified electrician and have had a callout to a car park with a number of the bollard LED lights not working. I've looked fairly extensively on the internet I can't find anything in stock, would anyone know where to get replacements for the lights in the pictures, or at least a light with the same size fixing powered directly from 230V ac?  Any help would be much appreciated.

They are acrich2 8.7w seoul semiconductors, smje-3v08w2p4

The basic problem with any fault rectification/replacement work is, you have always got to keep in the back of your mind the balancing equation of:  "How much time & effort does it cost you trying to solve the problem" -vs- "How much is someone willing to pay you to solve the problem"?   If the customer is willing to pay big-bucks then pursue investigations to the full extent. But if the probable repair costs are prohibitively high, then don't waste your time if you haven't found a possible solution in a reasonable timescale. If no easy like-for-like product solution is found, then just offer the customer a cost for a complete replacement with equivalent product.  

Doc H.     

Last edited by a moderator:
1) RIP out

2) bin

3) fit new

4) invoice

5) get paid

6) in 3 years time see 1)

gets my vote! That looks like a JCC fitting and a pile of dog poo tey be! Buy some some ceramic ES lamp holders and some self tapper screws and fit said lamp holder to  bollard as best you can. All you need do then is fit off the shelf LED lamps. 

The basic problem with any fault rectification/replacement work is, you have always got to keep in the back of your mind the balancing equation of:  "How much time & effort does it cost you trying to solve the problem" ...

And sometimes you may decide to put time and effort into solving a problem for 'next time'. Your own on the job training so the speak. Most days seem to me to be a vertical learning curve so you have to be prepared to put time into the learning process, bearing in mind you have to earn some money along the way. Be honest with the customer..."Sorry but the spares are not available, so I advise fitting a new up-to-date unit".

You can use a bit of 'kid-ology'... "Of course if you really want me to continue searching for a replacement part I can do, but I will have to charge for my time. It doesn't look like they are available though". This gives the customer a notion of control over the solution to a degree and gets them on your side.

Have a good idea of the cost of fitting the new items ready if you ring them because the next question is "How much?" You could offer two or three variations in quality for example to show you are on the ball."

And if not done so, ensure all the earthing, supply cabling and fusing is adequate. Never assume... !

But the quote above is from a spark who knows the game... 🙂

HTH

those lamps are available but you have to order them in, it's easier to convert, it's only a 240V supply to a connector block in the bollard, so easy to convert to something universal.

Locked, to prevent post being resurrected (Again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts