bollards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfutile

Reaction score
after a test and Consumer Unit change a bollard did not light up,this was the middle bollard of 3 the other 2 light up.
this is fed from a contactor switched by a photocell .
i changed the middle bollard es lamp for a new one ,still don’t work
I changed the bollard for a new integrated led type, still don’t work
next job is to wire a switch to override the photocell .
the underground swa appears to link all 3 fittings .
this seems to defy logic does anyone have any ideas?

I bet it did not work before you changed the CU.
Why bother with an override switch if you know the contactor works?
I would check the voltage at the light with the other two on.

the tenants have said the lights are always playing up and i copied the wiring ,to further complicate matters the 2 lights were on but no power detected with no contact tester or my single pole tester, the override switch , switches the contactor on during daytime.

there no need for that attitude the middle bollard was damaged and needed replacing ,so not just just replacing and hoping.

Get in there with a set of voltage testers or mft, non contact testers are just indicators and not reliable. it's possible middle bollard was added at a later date, ith power taken from elsewhere

after a test and Consumer Unit change a bollard did not light up,this was the middle bollard of 3 the other 2 light up.
this is fed from a contactor switched by a photocell .
i changed the middle bollard es lamp for a new one ,still don’t work
I changed the bollard for a new integrated led type, still don’t work
next job is to wire a switch to override the photocell .
the underground swa appears to link all 3 fittings .
this seems to defy logic does anyone have any ideas?

Back to basics with fault finding..
Dead testing of continuity of all conductors would be my starring point..
Then Insualtion resistance tests..
Then I would consider energising all or some part of the circuit for further live tests of earth loop impedance.. etc..

i did all the dead testing which had good results,when I fitted a contactor override switch (actually a photocell override) i measured 24 volts ac with 2 pole tester at the first bollard which was lit, this was enough to light up 2 x 240 volt led lamps, turns out the coil was supplying the neutral (the contactor was buzzing).
i thought wiring the contactor the same was as previous was the best course (not knowing the lights have never worked well).
this was not helped by a photocell 20 foot up in the air, why did they do this the sun reaches all the way to the ground.

i did all the dead testing which had good results,when I fitted a contactor override switch (actually a photocell override) i measured 24 volts ac with 2 pole tester at the first bollard which was lit, this was enough to light up 2 x 240 volt led lamps, turns out the coil was supplying the neutral (the contactor was buzzing).
i thought wiring the contactor the same was as previous was the best course (not knowing the lights have never worked well).
this was not helped by a photocell 20 foot up in the air, why did they do this the sun reaches all the way to the ground.
So reverse polarity?

no it seems the coil was wired in series with the neutral or maybe the line I think though I’m not certain as I rewired the contactor.

Latest posts