British General CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy_spark

Reaction score
Does anybody know which company makes these consumer units or are they an independant company?

Been asked to fit one by a customer who got at B&Q on a special offer, I've never used one before but they seem decent enough.

Can't answer your original question - but can confirm they are really nice to use and look really good. The MCBs can be bought from Screwfix.

Does anybody know which company makes these consumer units or are they an independant company?Been asked to fit one by a customer who got at B&Q on a special offer, I've never used one before but they seem decent enough.
BG, 60+ years in the industry

About BG Electrical

I'm used to the "old" traditional names (was always a Wylex fan for some reason) but coming round to what I understand are the lesser known names. Especially after the fiasco with the "name's" breakers.

I've just looked at the BG link that Doc posted and maybe would consider one of their main switch units for my own planned, all RCBO install. I must say their site is really easy to use. Plus I really like the aesthetics. One of the things that puts me off of MK is the looks, I've just downloaded the BG Technical Data Sheets to peruse! Before I read this thread I had just done the same with the Hager site so can sit and compare the two makes over a Bud!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:29 ----------

Concur with Noz....Here is my review from a while back, have to say the terminal stripping issue seems to have been sorted on the units I've fitted recently.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/your-personal-reviews/10950-bg-nexus-consumer-unit.html
So you are using them again then and happy with them?

I fitted my first consumer unit today and it was a BG one. Nothing to compare it to but its was a 12-way dual RCD board. Very easy to fit and plenty of room for the wiring. It was a bit difficult finding space in the bottom to run an SWA cable in and terminate it correctly though.

Look nice too, will probably buy it again next time - you know how it is, it's much easier to work with boards you already know!

The job is done thought I would give a review of what I think of th BG CU.

Pros: Plenty of space inside especially for meter tails, easy to cut out knockouts, comprehensive set of stickers, 3 seperate neutral bus bars it looks ok, price.

Cons:

I fitted one today!I quite like them, but the earth and neutral bar screws are a pain in the rear.

BG and Contactum MCBs are identical bar the print and dolly colours
Couldn't agree more the screws are the pozi/slotted type but wouldn't do up very tight with my pozi/slotted screwdriver, got it tighter with standard pozi but better still with flat screwdriver. MCB screws did up fine with pozi/slotted driver no problem there.

Last edited by a moderator: