Broadband and phone line problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got a new broadband deal and have gone through the setup and have done all that correct and the broadband is working but the phone line isn't. When you dial the number it's just the engaged tone and when you listen for the dial tone it's echoing sounds in the room quietly but there's no dial tone.

Have I missed something simple or is there problems with my line?

It's only 1 master socket in house with adsl filter plugged in.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Is the master socket the sort with the lower Half that u can undo and get to the test socket. If so try plugin straight in to that and see if the problem persists.

Ok have u got another filter to try?

Is it a master socket u have in place ie has it got a resistor?

Have u checked the connections in the phone socket?

Nice one guys. Spot on as usual. It was the filter lol. I've had loads of problems with my phon line so thought it may be something more involved but was the filter. Cheers :)

Ironically, xdsl only requires one of the pairs for data transfer so if they are shorted then the phone won't work but the del still can. Seen that before with someone where a BT engineer :) O) installed an extension outside using internal cable that had suffered water ingress and shorted out causing the phone to stop working.

Latest posts