Brtish Gas 330 (glow worm) boiler faults

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Had a leaking rad so changed it a few weeks ago, over the past few days the boiler has been chucking up F1 & F5 faults.

Sometimes I can hear water trickling (gurgling) in the pipe above the boiler.

Had BG out as part of the home care pack & after an hours visit, the net result after a quick bleed of all rads is "you have sludge & need a power flush" ..........for

you could flush the system yourself... not as 'professional', but basically do a few pipework mods, open end (to drain) on one side, and filling loop into other. switch off all rads expect one and work round... bit more work than that

what is the F1 & F5 fault?

F1 is failed to light and F5 is overheat. The DIY powerflush can achieve similar results if it's not in a complete state, as can removing rads and cleaning them out individually.

Seems odd the faults have started since changing a rad, the overheat fault could be from air in the system so make sure it is bled properly. The gurgling you hear above the boiler is probably air stuck in the pipes there. I would imagine the failing to light fault is because of the overheat situation.

And as a general comment, Glow Worm are crap. :)

Maybe an idea to drain it down and get an airvent by the boliler pipes. Sounds like it getting airlocked around the pipes by the boiler. JL is never about when you need him.

Cheers chaps, Only asking as I wasnt around today (had a periodic to do) so the BG guy left all the info with Mrs 107, she called them as the system was only serviced in August.....

Yes lurch is correct F1 is fail to light & F5 overheat, both caused by sludge according to the BG guy......... I was dubious as the system is only 5 years old & I top up with fernox every other year, plus when the system was drained a few months ago to add a rad the water was crystal clear. Also I couldnt see how sludge would cause the boiler not to ignite.

Anyway thanks again peeps.

if sludge was a problem, i guess it could cause overheat (lack of flow), but i doubt the fail to ignite

i wouldnt expect the water to be clear either

M my system is over 25 years old and has never had fernox in it and runs fine. I find it hard to believe its a problem with sludge as the water is clear also. Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one.

BG always say power flush when they have no clue to the cause and remedy of the fault:innocentAndyGuinness
It's a bit like "my rcd wont reset" well mate you need a periodic to find the fault.......thats