BS7671 Amendment 1

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

androiduk2002

Reaction score
Not seen this posted before so I thought I would , although my search skills are not as good as the likes of patch :Salute .

Draft for Public Comment - BS 7671/AMD 1 - IET Electrical

There are 4 web casts giving outline details of the amendments , no doubt some will have a greater inpact than others. I would think the greatest impact one will be the PIR code changes.

Just thought it was worth bringing up.

Cheers all.

This was looked at last year when the DPC was open for comment, which has now closed, "The DPC period for commenting closed on 6 September 2010. This page is provided for information only" We do have some threads already in the archive discussing it probably around 8+ months ago. but I can't find them either at the moment! I may have another look later.

Doc H.

There's a 17th Edition??? AND an amendment? beejayzus; do you think they will just publish a few update sheets free of charge so I can shove 'em in me booooks??

DSCF0003.jpg

:coat

Does anyone know when the 1st amendment is likely to be published and go live?
According to ELECSA [wasted 2 hours of my life listening to their twaddle at a recent 1st ammendment seminar, and I am not even in ELECSA FFS!!!!, only went coz it was free; should have gone with my gut feeling]

Published July 1st

First correction July 2nd

3rd correction July 3rd

loss of will to live July 4th

Applicable January 2012

... :coat

sorry if i sound cynical....more freaking dosh to pay out because some muppetts want to change a few numbers around.

Appears that the Surge Protection gubbins is 8ollox as it only applies if more than '25 sontaran experiments [or some such newly created nomenclature for the measurement and recording of lightning strikes] hit your area within a 12 month period. Apparently NOWHERE has ever had 25 hits per annum. However the ELECSA bloke spent most of the time saying 'this doesn't apply to you'...I'll shut up now before I put my size 11s in it

............................................................................................ bad day explode :good night:

Oh dear, I'm going to one of the ELECSA freebies in a week or so. It is only free because it is being sponsored by someone trying to sell software I think.

Still, it makes me look enthusiastic to the boss.

Is it really that bad?

sorry if i sound cynical....more freaking dosh to pay out because some muppetts want to change a few numbers around.
I'm cynical too, because I don't think the amendments have been thought out too well.

For instance proposed section 411.3.3 Additional protection says:

In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for

general use, .....

An exception to (i) is permitted for:

© minor works associated with existing socket-outlet circuits not provided with additional protection by means of

an RCD where the designer is satisfied that there would be no increased risk from the installation of the addition

or alteration. The decision shall be recorded under part 2 of the Minor Works Certificate or the comments section

of the Electrical Installation Certificate (see notes 1 and 2).

So if this amendment goes through ar per the draft, then it will be okay to make a minor alteration to a socket circuit without needing to fit an RCD, but it will NOT be okay to make an amendment to a lighting circuit for instance without fitting an RCD.

Madness.

I'm cynical too, because I don't think the amendments have been thought out too well.For instance proposed section 411.3.3 Additional protection says:

In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for

general use, .....

An exception to (i) is permitted for:

© minor works associated with existing socket-outlet circuits not provided with additional protection by means of

an RCD where the designer is satisfied that there would be no increased risk from the installation of the addition

or alteration. The decision shall be recorded under part 2 of the Minor Works Certificate or the comments section

of the Electrical Installation Certificate (see notes 1 and 2).

So if this amendment goes through ar per the draft, then it will be okay to make a minor alteration to a socket circuit without needing to fit an RCD, but it will NOT be okay to make an amendment to a lighting circuit for instance without fitting an RCD.

Madness.
the only 2 gobbitts of info I gleaned were....lightning strikes and the fact that ELECSA Had had the minor works RCD tingummyjig overturned.

The rest was a waste of time. As Ali says, sponsored by some software company. Break at end of ELE\CSA bit and before the Software monkeys came on....like a bl00dy starburst. 75% of us left.... :coat

the only 2 gobbitts of info I gleaned were....lightning strikes and the fact that ELECSA Had had the minor works RCD tingummyjig overturned.
So the one slightly logical proposed amendment has been scrapped.

So in other words amendment 1 is likely to be a non event in all practical terms then.

According to ELECSA [wasted 2 hours of my life listening to their twaddle at a recent 1st ammendment seminar, and I am not even in ELECSA FFS!!!!, only went coz it was free; should have gone with my gut feeling]Published July 1st

First correction July 2nd

3rd correction July 3rd

loss of will to live July 4th

Applicable January 2012

... :coat

Appears that the Surge Protection gubbins is 8ollox as it only applies if more than '25 sontaran experiments [or some such newly created nomenclature for the measurement and recording of lightning strikes] hit your area within a 12 month period. Apparently NOWHERE has ever had 25 hits per annum. However the ELECSA bloke spent most of the time saying 'this doesn't apply to you'...I'll shut up now before I put my size 11s in it

............................................................................................ bad day explode :good night:
I have a dim recollection of the lightning strike stuff coming up before in an ammendment to the 16th, if memory serves correctly it was in there because some far-flung former outpost of the Empire follows our regs & they do suffer from more strikes.

Nice to see the 14th still in use, at least it's the metric version!

Latest posts