BT And advertising?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is an old subject but a few days ago I was called by BT to try and sell me a geographical area because they receive 9000 calls a day asking for electricians etc etc. Blokey quoted me

BT are a PITA. I registered on their free yell.com and they wont leave me alone. I have been offered the same deal as your cirrus but as im just starting out dont have the money to advertise in the yellow pages. What do people do about them calling as you cant not answer the phone in case its a customer/work? Cant program their number in phone as it comes up as a blocked call. Its well annoying

Also had Yell pestering me with a similar deal this week. I am also just starting out on own and thought about doing it as it costs me the same as just one Parish magazine that I advertise in. However, if it is a scam I am giving it a wide berth.

scam scam scam, even if it isn't it will generate you no work!

Who are these 9000 people a day that call BT for an electrician? Thats over 3million people a year, 1in20 brits! Booolox

I always get them phoning me up saying that they'll improve my Google rating (get me on the first page)... I find it really funny because if you Google "Electrician Prestatyn" and most of teh other areas mine is the second proper website that it links to!

They are always phoning me to offer me all the work in North Birmingham Area that is phoned in to them every day. Why they would call the phone company for a sparks I don't know. Their number flagged up once so I reported them to BT as I considered they were using the BT name . BT were not really interested, there is no one to speak to , operator put me through to the Heavy Breathing complaints dept who wanted to know if they were abusive, which they were not, just a nusance and ripping BT off.

They were not really bothered. They still phone , I tell them to bog off .

i had them and other companys phone me, i had one the other day about google, the deal was if someone searched in my area i would pop up, the conversation went as follows....

'Hello, Plum Tree Electrics'

'hello, im from blah blah'

'hi what can i do for you'

'we can offer you agreat deal on google searches'

he then goes on to explane

'no thanks mate, in not intrested'

'why, if someone searches for a plumber in gloucestershire dont you want to pop up'

'no'

'why'

'i'm not a plumber'

'what, this is plum tree electrics is't it'

'yes'

'well what do you do then'

'electrics'

'oh, bye'

lol had me chuckeling all evening

:D my caller didnt like the fact i let him do his hard sell for over 20 minutes, and then said no thanks. He asked why i did this , my reply was "its a giggle" he really wasnt happy hahahahaha, and then after he continued for another 5 mins he got upset when i said no , called me a timewaster and hung up ?:| .

I did phone the 0845 number quoted on the bt site that he took me to, and it was a genuine call, amazing , so i left a complaint about him HAHAHAHA

Try this :http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

After you register it may take a couple of weeks for your details to be filtered out of 'the system' but it will stop MOST unwanted calls. Any other calls you get after that you simply respond quickly with "do you know I'm registered with TPS?" and they quickly get off the phone as their company can face a heavy fine.

Have never used it before, but heard its good. All free.