BT Infinity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
I am Having this new bt infinity broadband installed soon.Has anyone else got this, if so is it any good or am i wasting time and money.

Fibre- optic broadband basicly...... virgin media do that so its nothing new i would have said..... but i havent looked at all the ins and outs of it.

I think it may be FTTH with the new BT rather than FTTC which is what virgin offer.

Mind you, i wouldnt have BT BB even if it was free.

I'm envious, my exchange isn't ready yet. I don't think your wasting your time for not much extra cost your getting lots more bandwidth.

It depends what you use the internet for but it will really improve you ability to use on demand content. :)

Fibre- optic broadband basicly...... virgin media do that so its nothing new i would have said..... but i havent looked at all the ins and outs of it.
It's VDSL so different from virgin media's cable offering. In a nutshell its Fibre to the cabinet in the street and the DSLAM is there rather than in the exchange This results in a much shorter length of copper between the DSLAM and your router which can support a higher bit rate and in turn higher bandwidth. I think the presentation at the customer end will be the same as ADSL.

It's VDSL so different from virgin media's cable offering. In a nutshell its Fibre to the cabinet in the street and the DSLAM is there rather than in the exchange This results in a much shorter length of copper between the DSLAM and your router which can support a higher bit rate and in turn higher bandwidth. I think the presentation at the customer end will be the same as ADSL.
I hope the DSLAMs will be getting a lot smaller, or will the cabinets be getting bigger? Does strike me as being an odd move by BT, rather than make the network better just bypass half of it instead. I can't quite put my finger on it but something isn;t right with this, maybe I'm too cynical\sceptical.

I suppose the new 'DSLAMs' or whatever they're called must be smaller. I guess an exchange based DSLAM is a modular chassis with multiple line cards and the VDSL device will in effect be equivalent to an individual line card. I think the main motivation BT have for using this technology is the fact that they don't have to touch any physical infrastructure in any premises, so it'll be more cost effective and eventually everyone who has a BT PSTN presentation can get it so they have a huge ready made market to sell to. If they went for an end to end fibre based solution the upfront cost would be massive and would probably jeopardise their business case.

Latest posts