BT Socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Been having probs indoors with the landline. It sometimes rings but sometimes doesnt.

To cut a long story short ive rung BT and theyve checked the line and cant find anything wrong with it and want to bill me

Like Andy says , just say it was always there . Is it a Master socket, should have a big lightning surge arrestor thing across it . I presume you have tried the phone plugged in to that socket only , does it work OK ? If so check your extension connections , pay to buy a proper IDT tool and do them again .

BT charge

Does it not sound as though he has an extension socket wired as the master? :innocent
Not if problem has only just started happening

with no alterations to phone wiring?

problem would have been evident for long long long long time?

OR......

could be yes if they have recently changed the phone plugged into the socket!?

But bad connection through bell capacitor could also cause symptoms!

;)

If there is only one socket and it is the master socket then it is down to BT, assumng you have tried a different phone. You don;t need to change it for a newer one and see if it work sany better as BT are the only ones who can replace them, or that's what they tell you, so it's up to them to change it for a new one, but it doesn;t really matter as there's no extensions so no point.

As for the orange\white ring wore, not many new phones use the ring wore to actually ruing, most modern phones use 2 wires and use internal electronics to provide the ring tone so no current drawn. Also with ADSL all filters are 2 wire only and have their own internal ring capacitor so a failing master socket capacitor would make no difference (in this instance, assuming ADSL is on the line).

Basically, other than the phone itself there is nothing inside your house that is not down to BT to fix or maintain so as long as you are 100% certain the phone is fine and you only have a master socket on the line then get BT out.

I missed the fact that there are no extensions so if the incoming pair are across 2 & 5 and are sound connections there should be no charge from BT as its all their equipment .

Unless your phone is suspect .

1st thing i would be checking is the phone..... its the one and only thing alot of people dont check as "what can go wrong with a phone"..... also its preferable if its a hard wired phone to test it with as cordless isnt the best.... make sure the phone you test it with is a working phone also.... borrow a friends for an hour. Also if you only have the one phone point and that is the master..... its BT's responsibility.... regardless of what the point looks like...... at the end of the day thats what the engineer fitted and you didnt ask questions to why this type was fitted. BT are just chancers in my oppinion.

Have a look on tlc website they have quite a good explanation of phone lines and how to fault find them etc may be of use

M4tty have you got this sorted yet?? Not sure where you're based but if its down south (Bournemouth ish way) I'll take a look for you

Thanks for the offer mate but I'm from north Kent/se London so too far to travel. But thanks again for the kind offer. I'm going to try a new master socket first. And if this don't sort the problem will report back on here then suppose will have to call Bt. Thanks again mate

I've connected the probes of my multimeter to 2 & 5 in the master socket. When I ring the line with mobile phone. I get a Reading of 25v to 42v for a second then it goes to nothing. The house phone rings sometimes for a second then stops. Is this pointing at a fault in the master socket or could be further up the line too. I'll try new master and report back. Thanks for your help

The master socket I've got has screw terminals for the cables so if the new ones the same I won't need the punchdown tool?

Do most of these outlets have screw terminals or not many?

I've connected the probes of my multimeter to 2 & 5 in the master socket. When I ring the line with mobile phone. I get a Reading of 25v to 42v for a second then it goes to nothing. The house phone rings sometimes for a second then stops. Is this pointing at a fault in the master socket or could be further up the line too. I'll try new master and report back. Thanks for your help
Do you have any problems calling out? a fault on the line would be noticeable if rung in or dialed out no?

Doc H.

The master socket I've got has screw terminals for the cables so if the new ones the same I won't need the punchdown tool?Do most of these outlets have screw terminals or not many?
Most [all?] modern ones require a punchdown tool. Some even come with a free plastic one that is ok for a single outing or two.