BT Socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get BT out

2 faults come to mind

damaged cable from dp or master socket

dont replace it

tampering with their kit could cost you

meter seals for instance ??? :coat

From one of the original posts it looks like the NTE currently isntalled isn't a BT branded one anway so no real harm in trying another one to see if that fixes the problem.

If you do end up with the joys of trying to get BT out, when on the phone if they say you line is testing ok ask if they can RAT test your line for you via CSS instead of the tool they use. I've had it where they were telling me the line was fine even though there was no dial tone at all, eventually got someone to RAT test it and guess what, there was a fault on the line.

I'm with Lurchio And Theory (and whoever else said it)...

If, like you say; M4tty, you only have the original master, with no extensions and that you have checked that your landline phone and ADSL Filter etc.... and all is fine with them, then DON'T change the Master telephone socket, GET BT out - it is Their problem.

I'm with Lurchio And Theory (and whoever else said it)...If, like you say; M4tty, you only have the original master, with no extensions and that you have checked that your landline phone and ADSL Filter etc.... and all is fine with them, then DON'T change the Master telephone socket, GET BT out - it is Their problem.
I read that as he had changed the master and its now a non BT one.

It's a non Bt one. And I've tried a new one which doesn't solve the problem. It's just used as phone line, no Internet or Adsl filters on line.

It rings once most of the time which is good enough as I don't use it anyway as use mobile.

Out of interest what happens to voltages on the cables. I know only 2 & 5 are used and they show no voltage between them until the phone line is called then is it number 2 has roughly 45v to make the phone ring?

Am I thinking along the right lines?

Cheers

50V normal, and 80 - 100V when ringing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've connected the probes of my multimeter to 2 & 5 in the master socket. When I ring the line with mobile phone. I get a Reading of 25v to 42v for a second then it goes to nothing. The house phone rings sometimes for a second then stops. Is this pointing at a fault in the master socket or could be further up the line too. I'll try new master and report back. Thanks for your help
iirc, it should be around 50v, and 75-100v when ringing

Isn't it DC when not ringing and AC with a DC component when ringing?

I've connected the probes of my multimeter to 2 & 5 in the master socket. When I ring the line with mobile phone. I get a Reading of 25v to 42v for a second then it goes to nothing. The house phone rings sometimes for a second then stops. Is this pointing at a fault in the master socket or could be further up the line too. I'll try new master and report back. Thanks for your help
Get BT out, it's free.

Yeah steps tried 3 different phones and all doing the same. I tried 2 non digital phones including a standard Bt phone and an old phone from 1980s with bell ringer. They all ring once then give up. But this ties in with the voltage being present on 2&5 when the line is called. It shows voltage for a split second (enough to ring once) then the voltage goes. I wonder if the voltage should stay at ~50v all the time someone is calling the line until the phone is answered?

Yeah steps tried 3 different phones and all doing the same. I tried 2 non digital phones including a standard Bt phone and an old phone from 1980s with bell ringer. They all ring once then give up. But this ties in with the voltage being present on 2&5 when the line is called. It shows voltage for a split second (enough to ring once) then the voltage goes. I wonder if the voltage should stay at ~50v all the time someone is calling the line until the phone is answered?
from the person who is phoning, does it constantly ring, or ring once then silent until its answered? been asked to look at a phone line with almost identical fault

a couple of points

the ringing thr dialer hears is generated from the exchange not the master socket.

if there is a path to the master socket and a phone plugged in then the recievers phone rings

as i understand it there is no voltage until a call comes in which will then be about 50v

i know i have done enough phone faults and got zapped !!!!!!

everybody is talking about 2 and 5 which on extensions is correct but some master sockets have A and B for the incoming line ????

are we sure its wired correctly (sorry Matty simple question but a point to rule out)

and why do you live so far away from every one ????

if you were on my doorstep i would come and assist.

BRAINWAVE !!!!!!!!

who has an old bt master socket in their garage ???? broken or new ????

send it to Matty he can install it and test again find it faulty phone BT job done !!!!!!

can you get hold of a 'butt phone' with the two croc clips ????

that would tell you for sure......