Bt workers drive earth spike through 11kv power cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a few years ago my mates old man went through a 11kv cable with a jack hammer, walked away with out a scratch on him just shaken up ...luck of the irish!

i guess if you hit it when its still under soil, like the an earth rod, or jack hammer, the soil will contain the damage/arc etc, so it shouldnt as bad

I enjoyed reading all the comments afterwards........
The common problem here is that the charts showing ducting and cabling are of notoriously poor quality
True. My Uncle's in charge of maintenance for an industrial estate. He took out part of the complex when he went through a HV cable with his JCB - it should have been 20 feet from where he was digging. Nice big hole in his bucket.

Only carrying out the normal practice spiking a HV cable to prove it is dead:pray

Thing is why didn't they scan the erea before driving in the spike, ooops forgot it's BT who just throw it in anywhere.

last time i asked EDF for a drawing showing their services in a particular area they said they could only provide one with HV and EHV cables, i enquired about the LV supplies and they said they had no drawing for them, that was alot of help!

last time i asked EDF for a drawing showing their services in a particular area they said they could only provide one with HV and EHV cables, i enquired about the LV supplies and they said they had no drawing for them, that was alot of help!
Remember a few years back when the council where renewing all the footpaths around the area, had a phone call from the wife saying don't rush home from your mothers the pillocks from the council had gone through the gas main to our house, as she is an engineer for the local DNO she asked them didn't they have any drawings for the services reply was "Oh yes but we don't believe them" if they had then they wouldn't have hit our gas pipe.headbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbang