Building a switch panel for a laser enclosure

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36973

Reaction score
Hi, I've built a laser enclosure for my Xtools D1 and in it, there are a number of electrical items (exhaust fan, air assist, laser, light) being powered via an individually switch power board.
However, to finish the enclosure, I would like to put all the electrical items out of sight in a boxed section and have a switch panel on the outside to turn on/off each of these items.
Is anyone able to offer some advice on how to do this?
Many thanks!

IMG_8401.jpegIMG_8402.jpegIMG_8403.jpegIMG_8404.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf item which would do what you want.
I think that essentially you are wanting a custom made power switching and distribution panel, with the switches on the front and connections on the rear. (?)
That's perfectly feasible but needs quite a bit of electrical knowledge to do it safely, and some manufacturing skills and facilities.
Here are some pointers:-
As well as switches you would need to consider if individual fuses are needed.
The plugs in your photo don't appear to be standard 13amp ones (?)
Do you plan to retain plugs on your individual items, ( which means providing sockets on the back of your switch panel), or hard wire them ?
Whatever you do must fully enclose all the live terminals, etc
A good range of components can be sourced from CPC/Farnell, including switches, connectors, enclosures, etc. Also RS components.
If you were to come up with a scheme I'm sure members of the forum would help steer you, BUT remember this is a forum primarily for electricians doing installations in buildings to defined standards, which is different to designing equipment.

I thought I should point out that the plugs and sockets in the picture are Australian and the OP's profile does say he is located in Australia, furthermore to do what he needs to do it would be classified as "electrical work" which is illegal in Australia unless you are licensed, which I assume he isn't so that is why he is asking on a UK forum.

I thought I should point out that the plugs and sockets in the picture are Australian and the OP's profile does say he is located in Australia, furthermore to do what he needs to do it would be classified as "electrical work" which is illegal in Australia unless you are licensed, which I assume he isn't so that is why he is asking on a UK forum.
Ah, I hadn't spotted the location but wouldn't know the rules anyway. I certainly wouldn't stray into encouraging anyone to do illegal work.

If that is the case then the closest the job can come is to mount that switched multi-block on the front of the box and lead the cables to their destination.

Thanks for your replies. Yep, in Australia and would be looking to get this built by an electrician but trying to get a better briefing doc as when I asked a local electrician he wanted more info so looking to put a basic schema together to help.
Have found a wifi power strip in the meantime so can switch everything on and off using voice commands, Would love big industrial looking rocker switches through!

australia does have some strict rules on who can do work on fixed wiring however that it not fixed wiring. at best it would be similar to our machinery directives. of which their standards are also lacking in safety requirements (bit like the sockest in a bathroom, they rely more of people not being stupid)

Latest posts