Burnt Out Storage Heater Elements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, very recently in fact,

I simply put it down to overheating over a prolonged period of time,

that was just what it reminded me off,

everything tested out fine, replaced ALL the elements, even the still working ones and nothing else seemed amiss,

even checked the overheat stat and that seemed fine.

EDIT

perhaps proDave may be able to shed some more info, He seems quite au-fait with storage heaters.

Not that rare to find elements in such a state, though rare to see so many in one heater. I'd guess you'll have a high pfc at the property. A mess like that is usually close to the transformer in my experience.

I also thought it may be prolonged overheating. Have been educating the customer its not doing them any favours leaving the heaters on 24/7. I also replaced all 4 elements and it worked fine.
I've seen heaters like that, but never so many.

But what's this about being on 24/7?

Storage heaters are meant to be on for 7 hours overnight, not all day. If you are going to do that you might as well change them for panel heaters

An industrial estate that used to be one big place was divided up into numerous units of various sizes.  The landlord has his own check meters for each unit, all with duel rate meters. All the heating is from storage heaters. Inside each unit is a further time clock (Sangamo with spring reserve) that controls the heaters.  I sometimes think i might as well bang my head on the wall rather than keep trying to educate  a few of the tenants they are only conning themselves by altering the timeclock. They think they are getting cheap daytime electric.