C&G 2382 17th Edition Amd 1 course at BMET in Birmingham

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
I've just enrolled on the latest regs course, :Applaud to be told there's only one other student at the moment!

So if anybody wants to join in, it's being run from 18th - 22nd June at the James Watt campus part of Birmingham Metropolitan College, and there's spaces left. It's

Have you done the 17th edition course befor the amendment ? Is it necessary to do the amd1 course or are you doing it out of interest ? Just wondered if it was a necessity to be a scheme member ? Cheers

Have you done the 17th edition course befor the amendment ? Is it necessary to do the amd1 course or are you doing it out of interest ? Just wondered if it was a necessity to be a scheme member ? Cheers
I did the 16th Edition course in 2001 so am updating partly out of interest, but mostly out of needing to! I've been working to the current regs for the past 15 years whether i've had the bit of paper or not :)

It's not necessary to be a scheme member or to have done a previous 17th course as I'm enrolled on a full 5 day course. If you've an older 17th qualification it may be possible to do a one day update course, but i;m not sure anymore.

Most schemes do want you to have the latest regs qualification, or know you're gonna get it within the first year AFAIK

Whoop Whoop! Passed it! Friday afternoon :) Got 2 wrong on special locations, they wouldn't/couldn't tell me which flipping questions. bugged me all the way to the pub :)

Now to get me head back round how the book of words is interpreted in the real world. ha!

Some interesting points from the course:

An inexperienced ex salesman trying to retrain passed with over 80%. A time served sparky failed. Go figure. More worryingly, only 60% is needed anyway. Which seems really low for an open book exam!

We found so many errors and contradictions, some still there from previous editions of the regs, it'd no wonder arguements, discussions and differences of opinion are so common in this industry!

I wish they'd printed page numbers on all the contents pages!

British Standards are having a laugh all the way to the bank with all the documents referred to by BS7671. Grrr!

Although IP68 cable connections are manufactured, they can't be put in water if it's a man made place. (fountain, swimming pool, pond...)

Technically any consumer unit which has dual rcd's isn't fully compliant. Only RCBO ones are. And then there's issues as to whether they are double pole or not!

I'm sure there were many more, but off my head I can't remember!

Oh well, time to do an EICR.....

Quote.....Technically any consumer unit which has dual rcd's isn't fully compliant. Only RCBO ones are. Unquote

I argue with NIC man regularly on this , and I posted on it ages ago.

Ciruits arranged to minimise inconvenience ...minimise means reduce to 'as close as possible' zero NOT SPLIT IN TWO!

..................it is going to be a bad/long day.................. :coat