C2 or C3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John t

Reaction score
I recently did an EICR and found a fused spur acting as a light switch for a cupboard light under the stairs off the kitchen ring final, and from that there was a socket added just outside the cupboard, now I know spurring off a spur is not acceptable but the distance between the kitchen and fuse spur is the thickness of the dividing wall and the socket is situated about 3 metres away how much of a danger would you say this could be as I'm sure it would only be used for a hoover or something like a lamp, how would you guy code this a C2 or C3 thanks in advance 👍🏻

Spurring off a spur is not allowed. The cable distances do not come into it. C2.

A Hoover could pull nearly 3KW if it is a washing machine in heating mode.

Spurring off a spur is not allowed. The cable distances do not come into it. C2.

When was the last time you saw a hoover that was "a washing machine in heating mode"?

think you need to retype that comment :).

Ok, so a double socket is rated at 20A, lights, say 3 or 5A fuse (in reality probably 60W maw) to theoretical load less than 26Amps that 2.5mm cable can handle, dependent on installation method. It's probably a non-issue - C3 in my book. Worth noting, but not dangerous.

I rewired a flat many years ago, when I lifted the floorboards I found the cooker cable had 2 sockets spurred off it in different places, fed the cooker, and then the 7kW electric shower on the other side of the wall behind the cooker :eek:. Had worked that way very happily for many years without ever blowing the fuse.

I don't think anyone said it was OK, just that it happens.

It may be ok in peoples opinion, but surely a reg is a reg!
regs are guidance, a topic often discussed on here, and don't cover every circumstance. Thisis a bit of an odd situation, but needs to be assessed by whether or not the cable can overloaded. If that is not likely to happen, then I would C3 and note it, if the lighting load and socket at 20A is higher than cable max load, then it's a C2.

Install 3A fuse in the SFU with label and call it a C3

(After all if the spur fed a double socket and one plug in that fed a PIR cupboard light …)

Are you actually serious?! You’re correcting the fact that he called it “a hoover”. I bet your a rare laugh down the “public house”

For the fact that, from the OP it sounds like it’s been a socket fitted out in the hall it’s not likely to have heavy loaded appliances plugged into then it should be a C3

Certainly a C3 not a danger overloading the cable any time soon, some crap gets written on this site and it seems to be the same people, what some people are advocating is that should be C2 and fail, just nonsense

Certainly a C3 not a danger overloading the cable any time soon, some crap gets written on this site and it seems to be the same people, what some people are advocating is that should be C2 and fail, just nonsense

Latest posts