Cabbles And Currents

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is the answer then?

You seem to be inferring that the answers aren't suitable (even though they are) and then you complain about not giving answers, at which point we could reasonably assume that you think that the question has not been answered correctly.

Since there has been no answer of yet I will give a quick summary from an Electrical Engineer's standpoint and the method for an Electrician.

Firstly, in response to post 2, you must understand that Ohm's Law (I=V/R) is strictly for calculations involving purely resistive circuits/loads. You cannot use it for complex AC systems involving impedance via inductive/capacitive loads without first working through other necessary calculations such as Norton/Thevenin's, Superposition Theorum, Kirchoff's Rules etc due to phase degrees and other electro motive forces in effect.  That being understood, you need to remember that you can not just apply Ohm's law to any circuit and expect to get an accurate Ib (design current) for a particular circuit, unless it is strictly resistive e.g convection heater. Beyond that, the Ib will change according to harmonic resonance, grouping factors, voltage drop, thermal dissapation, fusing factors etc so these also must be taken into consideration.

Tables from Appendix 4 in the OSG will provide you with the necessary formula and factors to calculate your carrying capacities (Iz) assuming you have the correct circuit design current. These are close estimates but will differ from manufacture and age of the cable. It's always good practice to get a clamp reading of the circuit under normal load in order to cross-reference your calculations.

Iz is calculated by using the formula:

Iz = It x Ca x Cg x Ci x Cc

Where It is the tabulated current for a single circuit at an ambient temperature of 30°C. Ca is a correction factor due to the ambient temperature (values from table 4B1) Cg is a correction value for cables grouped with other circuits (values from table 4C1) Ci is a correction value for cables in insulation (Table 52.2) Cc is a correction factor of 0.725 for BS3036 fuses and 0.9 for cables "in a duct in the ground" or "buried direct". If a buried cable is protected by a BS 3036 fuse then Cc = 0.725 x 0.9 = 0.653

Method

1. Determine the design current (Ib) 
2. Select the nominal rating and type of the protective device (In) 
3. Divide the protective device rated current(In) by the correction factors (Cg),(Ci),(Ca),(Cr) etc; 
4. Select cable from the tables (Iz) 
5. Calculate the voltage drop and check for compliance - See the OSG for the basic calculation at 230V: - 
VD = mV/A/m × Ib(I "base" design current) × L(metres) . 
6. Check circuit complies with shock protection. 
7. Check that circuit complies with thermal constraints.

Check - ensure that Ib <= In <= Iz; and I2 <= 1.45 Iz

Hope this helps mate, take care.

Just playing devils advocate here, but when I learned all this stuff I had to wade through tons and tons of health and safety stuff before we got onto the nitty gritty of cables and capacities and the nature of what we are dealing with etc.

So someone comes on here and asks a question and members on here give out loads of info, if that person then goes off and hurts himself or someone else because he doesn't know all the safety aspect, can those members be held responsible?

Sproc..... dunno, I guess that we might be culpable if we gave bad advice,,, but if the advice is correct then we can't be held liable because of someone lack of skills/understanding.... surely?.... maybe better to start a separate thread?

As to the op...

The current carrying capacities if cables varies due to a load of factors such as cable type, installation method, insulation, grouping,,,  + more.... cable selection whilst not complicated can take several calculations to achieve.

However.... as a quick guide table 4D5 in the regs book gives the basic current carrying capacities for flat twin & earth

Last edited by a moderator:
Just playing devils advocate here, but when I learned all this stuff I had to wade through tons and tons of health and safety stuff before we got onto the nitty gritty of cables and capacities and the nature of what we are dealing with etc.

So someone comes on here and asks a question and members on here give out loads of info, if that person then goes off and hurts himself or someone else because he doesn't know all the safety aspect, can those members be held responsible?

Yeah that's a really good point mate but it's all information you can find in the OSG which you can pick up from almost any decent book shop. Unfortunately this trade isn't protected as well as others and any one can nip down B&Q and buy everything they need to wire their house up completely by themselves. Then there are legalities that mean Joe Bloggs would need to pay a certified plumber/gas tech to connect the gas up because he's not allowed to do it himself. Don't know about you but to me it seems electrical work should be seen as being on par with gas work.

It's not like someone could get killed or burn the neighbours down or anything...

Yeah that's a really good point mate but it's all information you can find in the OSG which you can pick up from almost any decent book shop. Unfortunately this trade isn't protected as well as others and any one can nip down B&Q and buy everything they need to wire their house up completely by themselves. Then there are legalities that mean Joe Bloggs would need to pay a certified plumber/gas tech to connect the gas up because he's not allowed to do it himself. Don't know about you but to me it seems electrical work should be seen as being on par with gas work.

It's not like someone could get killed or burn the neighbours down or anything...

In some ways electrical and gas trades are protected the same, maybe not enforced the same, because you are allowed to connected gas appliances up yourself in your own property if you are competent to do so, you do not as I understand it have to be Gas Safe registered.  To continue to use your example anything electrical (not much) I have bought from b&q also says on the instructions (from what I remember) that you should be "competent if not consult a qualified electrician".