Cable Size

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newman

Reaction score
Can you put 4kw through 150 meters of 12mm cable (4 core 6mm twined up)

The cable is single phase, armour plated, installed under ground,150m from inverter to CU, 4kwp system

So bearing in mind the % VD for PV what cable size do i need

no need to apologise Andy,

but it would be good to know why the OP needs this info,

as you say, if he doesnt understand how to calc cable sizes then what exactly is he going to do with this PV install, and esp the DC side.

I agree with all your comments about safty,the reason I need to know is the MCS installer has fitted the 4kwp system on my original cable, 12mm ,but now blames the inverter for triping out Ineed some reasons about the cable to say he is talking rubbish

On a side note Steps, if you arent MCS accredited etc, would you need to notify it under Part P at all? just a thought I am having, nothing else.AndyGuinness
yes,

solar PV is notifiable work,

MCS is only for the FIT and generation tariff,

thats how I understand it anyway.

AC = any cowboy

DC = dead cowboy, ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:35 ----------

I agree with all your comments about safty,the reason I need to know is the MCS installer has fitted the 4kwp system on my original cable, 12mm ,but now blames the inverter for triping out Ineed some reasons about the cable to say he is talking rubbish
seriously?

what sort of panels and inverter has he fitted?

this info will be on the owners handbook he should have supplied you with, along with your EIC etc.

once we have that info we can give you enough ammunition to raise a compliant with REAL, to which he is answerable and you should get your instal ,sorted FOC.

...Is the cable hes used feeding anything other than the PV system?

yes,solar PV is notifiable work,

MCS is only for the FIT and generation tariff,

thats how I understand it anyway.

AC = any cowboy

DC = dead cowboy, ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:35 ----------

seriously?

what sort of panels and inverter has he fitted?

this info will be on the owners handbook he should have supplied you with, along with your EIC etc.

once we have that info we can give you enough ammunition to raise a compliant with REAL, to which he is answerable and you should get your instal ,sorted FOC.
16 ,250w suntecs SMA 4000tl inverter coupled to my original 150m,12mm armour cable, he wants to come on tuesday ,what can I say about the cable

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:14 ----------

...Is the cable hes used feeding anything other than the PV system?
Yes,a farm shop,2 fridges, lights, till etc

what model are the panels? we need the voltage and amperage output from the panels to be able to work out how they have been connected to drive the inverter,

they may well have been configured incorrectly,

do you have a schematic,?

what paperwork and/or certificates has he provided you with?

you should have a complete pack of stuff, although this may only amount to a dozen or so pages,

there should deffo be a schematic of your install at your CU/fusebox/incoming supply point at the very least, you should also have a installation certificate.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:22 ----------

Yes,a farm shop,2 fridges, lights, till etc
oh dear,

where has he put the generation meter etc at for the solar PV ?

PV should not share a circuit with anything else, MCS requirement for volt drop is 1%, with the system having a max loading of 16A that would still be at very least a 25mm cable over your 150m(and thats a very rough guess without getting any books out).

Status
Not open for further replies.