Cable Size

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the installer round today, he has decided to put a voltage recorder at the inverter connections to moniter the voltage for a few days, he says when it trips out and if the voltage is below 264v he will have proof the trouble its not the cable but the inverter

At least he's trying

What voltage monitor did he put on / make / model ?---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:50 ----------

Can you post some photos of the install?

Did you ask about compliance with Part A of the building regs ?
What van did he drive / make / model ?

Can you post some photos of the wheel trims??

I am shocked at the witch hunt you keep trying to fuel?

Had the installer round today, he has decided to put a voltage recorder at the inverter connections to moniter the voltage for a few days, he says when it trips out and if the voltage is below 264v he will have proof the trouble its not the cable but the inverterAt least he's trying
Newmen, if you can find out what the voltage is at the origin with the inverter off?

And can you confirm the cable size as 6mm x 2 x 150m

Thanks

Newmen, if you can find out what the voltage is at the origin with the inverter off?And can you confirm the cable size as 6mm x 2 x 150m

Thanks
Sorry I don't understand the first part of the question,but the cable goes 6 mm x 2 x 130m then 4mm x 2 x 20m...

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:22 ----------

The meter is a CHAUVIN ARNOUX modle No CA 8230

Sorry I don't understand the first part of the question,but the cable goes 6 mm x 2 x 130m then 4mm x 2 x 20m...---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:22 ----------

The meter is a CHAUVIN ARNOUX modle No CA 8230
Does it have traceable calibration?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:30 ----------

What van did he drive / make / model ?Can you post some photos of the wheel trims??

I am shocked at the witch hunt you keep trying to fuel?
Any chance of an answer to my questions Ivor please?

Newmen, if you can find out what the voltage is at the origin with the inverter off?And can you confirm the cable size as 6mm x 2 x 150m

Thanks
Newman if your cable is 6mm x 2 x 150m

Then a m ohm / m is about 3.06m ohm x 150m = .459 ohm

add .4 ohm for the grid (high)

giving a rough grid/circuit impedance = .859ohm

call it .9 ohm for ease

put that info on the sma guide to grid connection blaa blaa blaa

if your incoming voltage is 220v =happy days

if your incoming voltage is 230v = happy days

if your incoming voltage is 240v = problems at 3.5 kw output

if your incoming voltage is 250v = problems at 1.1 kw output

Newman if your cable is 6mm x 2 x 150mThen a m ohm / m is about 3.06m ohm x 150m = .459 ohm

add .4 ohm for the grid (high)

giving a rough grid/circuit impedance = .859ohm

call it .9 ohm for ease

put that info on the sma guide to grid connection blaa blaa blaa

if your incoming voltage is 220v =happy days

if your incoming voltage is 230v = happy days

if your incoming voltage is 240v = problems at 3.5 kw output

if your incoming voltage is 250v = problems at 1.1 kw output
Thats intresting, do you have a link to the sma guide to grid connection info

Where ?---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:09 ----------

Bearing in mind the DNO won't can't alter the grid :slap

Where does this leave Newman in your expert opinion ?

His options are ?
My red above...

So you think the DNO can not alter the voltage,,,,,, I am sure they must have a tap for this.
No I said that the DNO cannot alter the grid, AKA the National Grid, they can alter sections of it, in a minor way however the WHOLE thing is interconnected which is one of my points.

Why should they have to alter anything if their voltage recording shows that their delivery is within ESQCR requirements?

You still have not answered my questions, BTW.

Had the installer round today, he has decided to put a voltage recorder at the inverter connections to moniter the voltage for a few days, he says when it trips out and if the voltage is below 264v he will have proof the trouble its not the cable but the inverterAt least he's trying
That's good.

I think his voltage recorder WILL show excessive voltage.

BUT even if his voltage recorder were to prove it was not excessive voltage, but a faulty inverter, that should guarantee your supplier replaces the inverter for you.

So although it's taking it's time, this is progress.

Now pray for some sunshine, and for it to trip, while his voltage recorder is there.

No I said that the DNO cannot alter the grid, AKA the National Grid, they can alter sections of it, in a minor way however the WHOLE thing is interconnected which is one of my points.Why should they have to alter anything if their voltage recording shows that their delivery is within ESQCR requirements?

You still have not answered my questions, BTW.
Newmen has had a AC V recorder placed at the incomer(i presume) by the DNO. They have found a couple of readings up/about 253V this is near or on the supply thresholds ,so if the DNO view it to be a supply problem the DNO would adjust the voltage,,,,,, I am sure it would be the DNO that would do the work on his local network that is part of a national grid

That's good.I think his voltage recorder WILL show excessive voltage.

BUT even if his voltage recorder were to prove it was not excessive voltage, but a faulty inverter, that should guarantee your supplier replaces the inverter for you.

So although it's taking it's time, this is progress.

Now pray for some sunshine, and for it to trip, while his voltage recorder is there.
I agree..........and its given a nice sunny day tomorrow

Newmen has had a AC V recorder placed at the incomer(i presume) by the DNO. They have found a couple of readings up/about 253V this is near or on the supply thresholds ,so if the DNO view it to be a supply problem the DNO would adjust the voltage,,,,,, I am sure it would be the DNO that would do the work on his local network that is part of a national grid
ivor,

newman has already reported that the readings are acceptable as far as the DNO is concerned.

Excess voltage is not high on their priority list as I understand things.

It would be the DNO that would "re-tap" their section but they cannot change the characteristics of the whole National Grid.

Whilst I am answering your questions you fail to answer mine.

IF the DNO change the voltage for a single dwelling then what affect will this have on the rest fed from the local transformer?

Youobviously missed this post
May be he could question the results?

The voltage average is below 253v and rises above this upper limit only twice for a fraction of a second. This does not warrant any works to remedy.

Ask what the upper limit is and ask if an average is acceptable

My investigations have revealed that the voltage recorder results for your property show a reasonable voltage that is within statutory limits

what is a reasonable voltage and please quote the stautoty limits?

I do not think that the reply by the DNO is beyond reproach

Status
Not open for further replies.