Call out... "I think my cooker has caused a wire to melt"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I go there and have a look expecting them to have an old CU with 3036 fuses.... but how wrong was I......

This is what he showed me... after I had removed a couple of cables

5478969001_b97ef28c4a.jpg

close up of the cable

5478970191_417eef6ca1.jpg

at the top there was a joint which had burnt out as well

5479571696_6ff7f85c32.jpg

other half of the joint

5479572984_8a0d287935.jpg

and this is the incommer... I did not touch this before taking the photo

5478966237_c341039331.jpg

All the 30A fuses had 2.5mm wire, the 15A fuses had 30A fuse wire and the 5A fuses in the other CU had flex wire... oh and the lighting had fused neutrals... anyway I fitted the correct fuse wire in the fuses (leaving the wire in the neutral fuse)

After sorting out the immediate problems I gave him a "Danger notice".. I'm booked in to sort out the problems in a week or two

EDIT... forgot to say that the reason this cable burnt out was due to a L conductor behind a socket having a bit of damaged cable and welding it's self to the galv box

Last edited by a moderator:
FFS Noz, this is why we should have more "authority"!!!

Hope you can sort this safely in a suitable timescale with a suitable profit, as else why would you be in business!

Probably one of the worst I have seen, the occupants have had a very lucky escape I think.

I did keep on giving im a verbal slap for just putting in 2.5mm wire when the fuse blew.... he also refused to acknowledge the fact that he'd done the other fuses... it was all like that when they moved in......... 20 years ago..

I've edited my OP to state the reason

I did keep on giving im a verbal slap for just putting in 2.5mm wire when the fuse blew.... he also refused to acknowledge the fact that he'd done the other fuses... it was all like that when they moved in......... 20 years ago.. don't realiseI've edited my OP to state the reason
People just don't realise the danger they put themselves in do they.

What astounds me, is that's had a recent new electric meter fitted.

Surely the DNO should have issued a danger notice when the meter was due to be changed, and refused to re connect the supply?

Instead, they henley blocked the new meter tails to obviously sub standard tails leading to a dangerous installation.

If we had done something like that and re energised a dangerous install we would be in the dock if someone got killed?

One rule for them, another for us.

Dave,

It is doubtful the DNO installed the meter.

It was probably an elecricity provider, whose guy had had a 1 day course in meter installing!

AKA not a blinking clue!

Been back to this job today,,

I've first fixed a new cu (low level), a new earth rod, water bond and also a couple of new cables (one for the immersion and another to replace that cable that's burnt through)

I did find that the lighting circuits are wired in VIR, gave the customer the bad news and he doesn't want me to rewire the lights so only that Bill MC cu and the Wylex are being removed; I'm going to construct a cover for that ceramic fuse board and give him a danger notice --- he recons he can get it done under a grant

Back there in the morning to finish off..