Can I remove this time switch (meter)?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHippyDad

Reaction score
Hello all..

I have just been to look at a job involving fitting a replacement consumer unit.

I can't remember having to remove one of these time switches before and I just wanted to learn a bit more about it's function so I can decide if I can remove it.

As you can see from the picture there are lots of meter tails everywhere and I plan to remove the Wylex 100ma RCD, time switch and old fuse box, replacing the lot with an RCBO board.

The lady does not need a dual tariff as there are no night storage heaters and she has no plans to try and utilise a cheaper off peak tariff.

Can I just remove the time switch? Is it's only function to let the meter know when it's moved between day/night rate?

meter2.jpg meter1.jpg

Attachments

• meter2.jpg
    meter2.jpg
    967.8 KB
Its an integral part of the metering system so I would say NO, you shouldn't touch it. You would have to break the meter seal to disconnect the control wire too.
Whether anyone would know or care if you did may be a different question.

Its only a time switch...the control wire can be terminated safely without accessing the meter. If the customer is on a peak only tariff then there is no issue removing it.
What time did you take the pic 18:00-19:00 or is that clock really out ?;)

Its only a time switch...the control wire can be terminated safely without accessing the meter. If the customer is on a peak only tariff then there is no issue removing it.
What time did you take the pic 18:00-19:00 or is that clock really out ?;)
Thanks Sparksfly.
Good spot! I was there this morning around 9am :)
If they were still on a dual tariff, what would happen if it was removed? They would still be able to use power at night and the meter would still register this.

My question above is basically due to a lack of understanding about what the time switch actually does?

Ah Interesting...
Yes still power 24-7 the only thing that could change is her electricity bill.
If she is on a dual tariff (check her bills) then she is getting cheap electricity during part of the day simply by having a clock that is out. If that is the case then her leccy bill will rise a bit as she should be on (Normal) Peak rate all day. If she is already on peak rate tariff 24-7 then no change to her Bill and your work will have no adverse affect.

(Boring Background)
The time switch is to change the meter rate from NORMAL to LOW. This would originally switch an Off-Peak consumer unit (Economy 7) on say 00:00 - 07:00. So this E7 consumer unit would be dead until those times. When switched on they would energise the storage heater circuits to generate heat, at night, and switch off during peak time...keeping the coal fired power stations turning over and cheaper rate to the customer.

Ah Interesting...
Yes still power 24-7 the only thing that could change is her electricity bill.
If she is on a dual tariff (check her bills) then she is getting cheap electricity during part of the day simply by having a clock that is out. If that is the case then her leccy bill will rise a bit as she should be on (Normal) Peak rate all day. If she is already on peak rate tariff 24-7 then no change to her Bill and your work will have no adverse affect.

(Boring Background)
The time switch is to change the meter rate from NORMAL to LOW. This would originally switch an Off-Peak consumer unit (Economy 7) on say 00:00 - 07:00. So this E7 consumer unit would be dead until those times. When switched on they would energise the storage heater circuits to generate heat, at night, and switch off during peak time...keeping the coal fired power stations turning over and cheaper rate to the customer.
Thankyou for that through answer. I kind of expected to see another CU for NSH's but there is no sign of one. Also, no sign of any actual NSH's. Also, no left over double pole switches or FCU,s hiding anywhere.
Perhaps someone has just done a thorough job of removing them.

Back when these units were installed, were they used solely for NSH's, or did some people have a dual tariff simply to have cheap electricity at night?

No problem HappyHippyDad
I have replaced the NSH FCU's/switches with single sockets... no waste of circuits... I think you could call it "sustainability"....with little money involved:ninja:

Get the Energy supplier to swap it for a single rate meter, which will probably be a smart meter, that will get rid of the timeswitch then you can tidy it all up and do the CU swap.