Can it be possible ??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were made to watch "The Great Escape" during the great dinner lady strike of 1982.

I had for my lunch Quatro, Hedgehog crisps and some spangles to finish off.

If you tell the kids today that, they would not believe you!! Why didn't you play on your DS during your lunch hour!!??

ive never watched it either....load of rubbish for old soldiers in smelly cardigans smoking roll ups

its a mad mad mad mad world ?????

how many people have not seen that ?

633 Squadron was on itv4 this weekend,,,,,, went to adverts just as they entered the fyord muppets !!!!!!

I cannot believe some people have never seen The Great Escape it used to be on every christmas after The Queen speech ! ! ! ! ! ! , but I do like a good war film , The Star Wars trilagy another excellant collection of films and yet some have not seen them ! ! ! ! ! they are true 80s icons but have a following even now, damn it I missed 633 squadron headbangheadbangheadbang its about time The Bridge over the River Kwai was on again must keep an eye out.

To many classic films with to many classic actors , the trouble is with most of todays films they involve to much computer generated stuff , in the old days to film a good film involved the use of real people and real props and sets with alot of location stuff from around the globe.

I used to know a gentleman that worked for a timber importer , the company had the contract to supply Elstree studios , he always knew of new films being filmed as they would make daily deliverys to the studio but alas now it only happens for the likes of the soaps. Huge staff to build its set apprentships in all trades, a job with one of the studios was a job for life. headbang

ive never watched it either....load of rubbish for old soldiers in smelly cardigans smoking roll ups
If you've never watched it how do you know?

I should point out to Simplesimon that although the film was glamourised for the cinema and the US market ( inclusion of US prisioners who were not actually there and didn't attemt to jump the wire at the Swiss border ) it was based on a true story , the main characters are their true names, there were three tunnels , there was a mass escape.

AND HITLER DID ORDER HIS NAZI *******S TO MURDER THE FIFTY UNARMED POWs IN THAT FIELD !!!!!

I also point out that those responsible were tracked down by Scotland Yard after the war ,stood trial at Nurenburg and hanged.

OUR ARMED FORCES WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR OUR FREEDOM DO NOT DESERVE TO BE REDUCED TO " OLD SOLDIERS IN SMELLY CARDIGANS SMOKING ROLL UPS"

its a mad mad mad mad world ?????how many people have not seen that ?

633 Squadron was on itv4 this weekend,,,,,, went to adverts just as they entered the fyord muppets !!!!!!
That sums up ITV , the adverts drive me up the wall , I start zapping and lose the thread of the film , I know they pay the bills but give me the Beeb anytime.

So , there are others who have not seen "The Great Escape" Mmmmm, also some have not seen "Star Wars"! including me, even some have not seen "A Wonderful Life."

But everone has seen "The Wizard of Oz"

And I'll wager everyone has seen "ET"

That sums up ITV , the adverts drive me up the wall , I start zapping and lose the thread of the film , I know they pay the bills but give me the Beeb anytime.
much easier having sky+. just about everything i watch is pre-recorded, so jsut fast forward the adverts

as shocked as you deke about the great escape.

i've seen all the others you mention but not a wonderful life!? never heard of it either

:eek:

And I'll wager everyone has seen "ET"
That took like forever to come out on video.

For all the kids on here, videos are what we had before DVD's or Blurays. :p

I guess if they think the film will still turn a profit at the cinema , they hold back the video release . I think Disney used to do it with their back catologue of children's films .

as shocked as you deke about the great escape.i've seen all the others you mention but not a wonderful life!? never heard of it either

:eek:
Its probably an age thing , Lostit, there are a few classics from a previous generation which I tend to assume everyone has seen on TV .

All B+W

A Wonderful Life. James Stewart .

Angels with Dirty Faces. James Cagney.

Casablanca. Humphrey Gocart.

Now Voyager. Bette Davis.

Psycho. Hitchcock.

Reach for the Sky Kenneth Moore

The Dam Busters

The Longest Day

Not so old one was a master class in the art of acting by Richard Attenbourgh and John Hurt in 10 Rillington Place.

I guess if they think the film will still turn a profit at the cinema , they hold back the video release . I think Disney used to do it with their back catologue of children's films .
IIRC it was spielberg holding it back.