Can old style black & red pvc T&E be part of a part P compliant partial rewire ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourtytwo

Reaction score
Hello, some advice please....
I have a house that has been part re-wired in red & black T&E solid core cable (mostly 2.5mm) but has a large amount of rubber cable in both power & lighting circuits that I wish to have replaced.

Can another partial rewire be done that just replaces the rubber and an obsolete consumer unit but retains the older standard pvc and still be part P compliant or does the whole lot have to be replaced (at considerable additional decor damage) ?

TIA

Thanks for the reply, reason for asking is the only contractor to visit so far seems to think a full rewire with ceilings and walls chased is essential.

Hum. I’d get more people in to look.

Unless the other contractor has actually concluded by doing extensive tests there is no way they can say it needs replacing.

It's really hard here to find anyone but I will keep trying. No testing done just observation, I had lifted the boards so the rubber/pvc was mostly visible. Thank you very much for your help it gives me heart that I don't have to destroy my house to fix the problem.

Thank you again everybody, I had thought somehow part P insisted a full re-wire was required. I have unearthed nearly all the rubber now and it forms the backbone of the ring that runs from the downstairs CU to an upstairs bedroom then out along a very long landing to the back of the house. Just about every subsidiary spur/ring from that backbone is in pvc. Of course just about the entire up/down lighting is in rubber but a few trials show it should be possible to pull in new pvc under the existing capping to the light switches and of course fish to the ceiling roses.

May I ask another question, is a new CU mandatory now if it doesn't have an RCB (underground supply with earthed sheath) ?
Not that I don't think that's a good idea anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you again everybody, I had thought somehow part P insisted a full re-wire was required. I have unearthed nearly all the rubber now and it forms the backbone of the ring that runs from the downstairs CU to an upstairs bedroom then out along a very long landing to the back of the house. Just about every subsidiary spur/ring from that backbone is in pvc. Of course just about the entire up/down lighting is in rubber but a few trials show it should be possible to pull in new pvc under the existing capping to the light switches and of course fish to the ceiling roses.

May I ask another question, is a new CU mandatory now if it doesn't have an RCB (underground supply with earthed sheath) ?
any works done needs to comply with todays regs, so RCDs are compulsory - would recommend spending the extra for RCBOs.

not mandatory if doesnt have an RCD however many circuit require RCD protection so something would need to be done if the circuits are to be worked on. as above, RCBO's are recommended over the cheaper and arguably non compliant dual split load boards that shouldnt really be on sale

I have unearthed nearly all the rubber now and it forms the backbone of the ring that runs from the downstairs CU to an upstairs bedroom then out along a very long landing to the back of the house. Just about every subsidiary spur/ring from that backbone is in pvc.

Hum - without looking I would say that to try and incorporate spurs / subsidiary ring into a new circuit probably isn't practical. Its also worth noting that maybe said circuit may be better split into 2 or more circuits.

You really need a 2nd opinion AND if you are England or Wales please ensure that Part P compliance is part of the documentation you receive along with the EIC

Latest posts