Can this be used to control a cooker plate?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Sure you can, if it's an oven and not a complete cooker..... By cooker plate, do you mean a CCU (cooker connection unit)?? If so, again yes!!

Hi Andy

The intention is to spur from the RM to the RCD FCU, then chase into wall below worktop and connect to CCU (as Larnacamum said).

My concern was that there isn't an actual switch to turn the power off to the cooker, you'd have to press the "test" button which isn't ideal!

Would it be best to have the RCD FCU, an isolating switch, THEN go down to the CCU below worktop?

Yes, but you're then going to have a DSO, RCD FCU and a switch for the cooker all in a row - it's not going to look great and the kitchen's fairly small!

Only circuits of special locations require RCD protection.

How will you protect the cable that spurs from the ring to the RCD FCU, or will it be surface run?

Spin,

As I see it this will be existing or surface?

If not then as you say any chased cables upstream of this RCD would need protection by RCD also.

Of course there is the option of using cable with an earthed metallic sheath.

Are you under the impression that placing accessories in rows, somehow protects the cables?

I don't believe I've ever come across accessories that can butt up against each other, so as the cables don't have to jump a gap to reach the next back box.

Latest posts