Career Change Electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benauk

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently work in an office and have for the last 7 years mainly doing customer service based jobs.

I'm interested in becoming an electrician and getting a skill under my belt, but before i go looking into courses to get me started i have one main question.

I have had heart surgery and am advised by my doctor not to do heavy lifting, i don't have a pace maker or anything like that. So my main question is if i did look into becoming an electrician and did complete the courses would this put an employer off hiring me?

Employment law prevents any type of discrimination. Your only fault is thinking that being an electrician is good or better than what your doing at the moment.

There isn't necessarily much "heavy lifting" involved with being a domestic electrician. But you need to be agile and fit so I'm not sure it would be my choice if I had a heart condition.

Hi, I currently work in an office and have for the last 7 years mainly doing customer service based jobs. I'm interested in becoming an electrician and getting a skill under my belt, but before i go looking into courses to get me started i have one main question. I have had heart surgery and am advised by my doctor not to do heavy lifting, i don't have a pace maker or anything like that. So my main question is if i did look into becoming an electrician and did complete the courses would this put an employer off hiring me?

Why not become a cabinet maker, car mechanic, plumber, painter & decorator, carpet fitter, tree surgeon etc..  etc... etc..

they are all decent skills to have under your belt....

with similar heaving lugging carrying tasks equivalent to what electricians do.....

Or do you have existing skills that make electrical work a more sensible choice...

As if you have no other natural electrically related skills & qualifications (such as maths, physics)..

it seems a bit daft to say the least to just pick electrical work at random....???? 

Heart condition may not be a stumbling block to employers...

But lack of experience and just a few short course qualifications will hold you back from being much use to a lot of employers!

:C