Career/job help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisd230151

Reaction score
Hello all

My name is Chris. I have recently completed the Level 3 City & Guilds 2365 in electrical installations . I am a self-started, hard working and committed person. I am looking to progress on to NVQ 3, and have my 17th edition exam coming up in the next month. subsequently I am looking for electrical work as a Electrical Improver/Electrician's Mate anywhere around Liverpool or the Northwest. 
At the moment I admittedly do not have a vast wealth of hands on experience, (6 months) which is holding my development back. Its the catch 22 situation of needing experience to get a job but not been able to gain it, but I more than make up for that with a willingness and desire to develop myself and achieve my goals.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and please feel free to contact me if you have any work or advice.

Regards,
Chris

It seems there are many in your situation these days Chris,  unfortunately we live in difficult times . 

My neighbour's son attends the local college and works with us , as & when we have enough work,  he tells me that from a class of 30 odd , he is the only one who has actually worked with an electrician.

I can only suggest you ask at local wholesalers if you can advertise your position at the Trade Counter. 

Hi again Chris,   I'm not too familiar with modern qualifications but looks like you're doing the right things .   The NVQ 3 thing has , I believe , become the stumbling block .  Is it a year of practical work or what ?   I know thats the one where you need to working with someone ,  do you log all the experience or what? 

One of the main things in our trade , and in the small construction world,  is getting yourself known , in your case by electricians /contractors .   It seems unlikely for you to get full employment ....but not impossible if you come to the attention of the right person for whom it makes sense to take you on as an improver say. 

If you don't know anyone in the trade , make a list of local contractors and one man bands and start letting them know you are there , you're keen, you want to work .  

See who is still in the Yellow Pages.

Better idea , search for the lists of NICEIC , NAPPPIT, ELECSA , Part P  local electricians . 

And stay with this Forum , there are members in your area .      ( Put it like this , I am now aware of you , OK I'm 100 miles away..OK I'm semi retired now ......  OK I don't actually need anyone ....  BUT  ... there was a time when we could have used you ,  you come across well in your opening post ) 

I wish you luck .    

That's right, the nvq 3 is a qualification gained through on site work experiences, keeping a diary and logging evidence of works I've carried out...indeed a stumbling block! 

Luckily I have been in contact with a smallish local firm of late, they are a fairly new business looking to expand slightly and have been kind enough to help me with a few day's work when I can fit it in between my full time job. 

There is talk of them taking me on full time and helping guid me through the rest of my qualifications so your advice seems to have worked almost instantly for me am happy to say.

Latest posts