Cat 5E Cable For Cctv

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over those sorts of distance you the picture will be fine but you might have a issue with power I done a job a few weeks ago and put another power supply half way from camera and DVR and it was fine after .have you considered a wireless link ?

CCA is total crap, it should be banned. End of. It is not category anything, it is wanky cable in the shape/formation of cat5 or similar.

If the baluns say 240m then I'd probably say 250 would be fine, after all ethernet is supposedly 100m end to end max but I have had over twice that on occasions with no issues.

Try it out first off site. To give you the best chance of having no issues then try and allow 1 cam per cable if possible, or maybe 2, 3 is definitely max so you're winding everything up to the limits doing that.

If you are still concerned then use active baluns instead which should give >1km depending on which ones you use.

Have been told by suppliers they have no active balans for TVI , but i think that may be only them. I have had 2 cams running today side by side in the spare room. One with 100mm of cable between the balans, the other with a full 305 m dfum. Both seem same quality.

Have been told by suppliers they have no active balans for TVI , but i think that may be only them.
Possibly, I think passive baluns will work with all analogue video but active ones I have not seen many that explicitly state they work with HD-TVI. Not something I have looked into in great detail TBH as all the HD-TVI cameras I have used with baluns have been reasonably short distances on passive baluns.

I have had 2 cams running today side by side in the spare room. One with 100mm of cable between the balans, the other with a full 305 m dfum. Both seem same quality.
I've just had a quick look at some datasheets for baluns I have used recently and they state 250m, although it isn't an exact science. Probably find they are all the same inside anyway and some datasheets are erring on the side of caution.