CCTV advice required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a customer (bit of a PITA TBH) who wants a single camera CCTV installing at the entrance to one of their residential sites.

There is power at the gate pillar and the DVR and camera PSU will have to be installed in a lockable GRP cabinet (no ventillation). The camera is to be a low light dome camera mounted on the pillar.

They are after a way to view the recorded/live images at another site, but I've told them that they'll need a telephone line installing - this is not going to happen so I'm looking for another way of doing this.

Is there a DVR available that has a removable/swappable HDD that will allow them to view the recorded footage on a laptop at the other site.. I guess some sort of cradle/adaptor would be needed at the laptop?

Spoke to the cliet today and have got a proper agreed spec from them.

Combined DVR/moonitor (2 channel) in a GRP / polycarbonate cabinet - will prob have to stick a panel fan in to have some forced ventillation - also got them to have a phone line installed so they can view over the internet;

and 1 PZT low light dome camera with mirrored dome set to automatically view different parts of the site

Just waiting for prices now from the wholesaler

yes noz i dont rcomend the mirror typr bubbles because of the light being stopped / restricted, the customer will think the domes crap,

. :innocent :innocent:innocentROTFWLROTFWL:run

Right I've had all this stuff on the dining room table for a while now waiting for some RJ59 crimpers to come; they're here now so that excuse has gone:(

Anyway it's all hooked up and I can fully controll the PZT both via the controller and the DVR, I can store and recall preset locations/zoom levels, no problem, but I'm having some difficulty in setting the camera to have a preset scanning function; i.e. preset 1 (10 secs), preset 2 (10 secs), preset 3 (10 secs), etc... without having to go deep into the cameras menu system.. I was hopeing to be able to just recall a preset for the scannning..

This needs to be easy to set as it will be remoteley monitored (and controlled)

Do any of you CCTV gurus got any ideas for me other than RTFM... (which isn't particularly straight forward BTW)

Cheers.

Some of the cheap ones can be a PITA and are actually quite limited when you're trying to do things that decent ones do easily. Basically, RTFM! in so much as, somewhere it will tell you how to store and recall tours, which are generally recalled by just calling a preset. Sometimes though they are fixed at daft numbers that some kit can't call. Bit hard to be any more specific without reading the manual.

Just a quick one to let you know that the camera etc has now been installed.. I have uploaded pics to my Flickr account (below) - sorry, can't "copy" and paste links on my phone :(

The dvr, pzt controller and psu's are all in the cabinet; along with a cooling fan and thermostat.. there is no permanent monitor as it will eventually be remotely monitored.

and jeez, it was a reasonably tight fit getting everything in there.

Thanks for the help guys.

So if I get this right - with this system you could see if someone stole something of yours over the internet?

Very clever.......

Latest posts