CCTV over Cat5e

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not what I would normally do. I have installed individual IP cameras which have a dedicated cat5e or cat6a cable for each camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a customer that needs to spend a certain amount of money by end of financial year... So I'm quite happy to help them..

the cameras will be mounted on an attached building remote from where the DVR/NVR is and It'll be a pain to run 4 x Cat 5e across to them...probably externally in conduit

a switch at that end with individual cat 5 to each camera, then connect direct to recorder at other end

it may also be possible to use WIFI cameras or bridge if running a cable is too hard

other option if you do run 4 cables, some work POE and i think are pretty much plug and play, each camera has its own port on the recorder. so more work installing 4 cables, but it might be much easier to set up?

If I ran 4 cables then I'd probably put in 4 digital cameras and use Baulns at the DVR

just trying to minimise effort vs functionality,,,, but not so much as to compromise install

Budget is good,,, but not great,,, and they want to spend as much of their budget as they can

dont forget IP cameras give a much better image, so if anything did happen, would be more useful. they also take less space so will record for longer (well, higher quality IP might take the same as a lower quality analogue, but will be a much better image