Sunsynk CT Coil Wiring range

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jassdhali

Reaction score
Hi,

In the process of setting up my system which will include a 5kW Sunsynk Hybrid Inverter.
The issue I have is that the install will be carried out in my shed at the bottom of my garden, which is approx. 30m or so from the incoming feed from the grid.
According to the Installation manual I can extend the cable by 10m, hence my problem.
Has anyone come across a similar issue?

I did hardwire 2 cat5e cables - which run near to where the coil will go, would that be viable.

Thanks for your time.

Jass

I guess it depend if the CT coil is using a DC current, hence the stated max of 10m on cable extension. I looked at installing a similar set up where I thought about putting a hybrid system in my garage as opposed to an AC coupled battery. It was some time ago, and I cant remember where I saw the info, but if I recall correctly, I found wireless transmission modules available that can send a CT coil signals over the airwaves for such situations. Maybe have a look around for a possible wireless solution? Good luck with your Sunsynk. I hope you don't have any radio people near by, cause u will probably piss them off.

Hi,

In the process of setting up my system which will include a 5kW Sunsynk Hybrid Inverter.
The issue I have is that the install will be carried out in my shed at the bottom of my garden, which is approx. 30m or so from the incoming feed from the grid.
According to the Installation manual I can extend the cable by 10m, hence my problem.
Has anyone come across a similar issue?

I did hardwire 2 cat5e cables - which run near to where the coil will go, would that be viable.

Thanks for your time.

Jass
Assuming that you mean the CT when you say coil. The CT is used to detect current flow on the incoming grid supply, the inverter uses the information to increase it's voltage output (if import was taking place) or decrease it's output voltage (if export was taking place). The problem with CT's is that they generally operate around zero current (thats the aim) at zero current they have zero output, noise on the cables can have a significant affect on the inverter performance.
My Victron inverter had a 2 metre cable on the CT that could be extended to 5 metres, I needed to go to 25 metres. I did some trials with screened twisted pair cable and there was little to no noise on the extended cables, the screen being connected at inverter end only. The other option which is probably a better solution is to use a generation meter instead of the CT. Looking at the manual for your inverter (assuming I found the correct model):

sunnysynk.PNG

Being digital information, this would run nicely down your CAT 5 cables and be immune from interference.

Hi John,

Grateful for highlighting that. You do have the right model.
Very new to this as you may have noticed :)

Thanks for your time.

Will feedback as I get on installing it.

Thanks

Hi,

Just an update, I have my system up & running now.

Regarding the CT, I have wired it through my Cat 5e Cable - the inverter appears to pick up the signals without issue.
I measured the cable run, its approx. 35 metres.

I will get round to trying the generation meter, once I get entice my electrician to come & fit it.

Thanks