CCTV system - asked last night but got lost :(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Looking to fit CCTV at my property due to a problem that happened recently.

Wanting a bit of advice :)

Power supplies are not an issue, as all cameras will be at loft level (3m up or more) its a bungalow.

I will be looking for something that records 4+ Cameras (4 will do to start with)

Ive been having a browse on ebay, i dont want the most expensive system, but dont want somet thats pants lol

So looking at these cameras

Cameras on flea gay

I have seen these in action some where local has them and they were crystal clear on the display during the day time.

Any one got any pointers?

Also am i better off getting cables pre made or making my own cables to length?

you should get one of these bang bangOr if some one is after your motor link
got a one of them first ones!!! just not multi shot :p

and ive got something v similar in the second post, although mines more human looking, female and just a snappy :)

Its not the van im bothered about ... its more the property, and security reasons for location i live. (not rough area, just middle of a field)

Badger is the expert on cctv and I'm sure he will be on to help soon.

The forum site sponsor does some cctv at a good price.

I will be looking for something that records 4+ Cameras (4 will do to start with)
As you say 4 to start with then you're looking at an 8 or 9 channel DVR. You could buy a 4 channel then upgrade later, but you'll lose money that way. Personally, after having many troubles with budget systems, I steer well clear nowadays. For a decent 8 channel DVR I wouldn;t expect to see much change out of a grand, some will point you towards cheaper ones, your decision at the end of the day. Some work, some don't.

Ive been having a browse on ebay, i dont want the most expensive system, but dont want somet thats pants lolSo looking at these cameras

Cameras on flea gay

I have seen these in action some where local has them and they were crystal clear on the display during the day time.
You want to have a look at them at night time as most cameras will look amazing in the day time but be completely useless at night. As a budget camera those in the link are by far not the worst, and after a cursory glance over don't seem too bad for the price. The biggest problem with the quality of a useless night time image following great day time images is shoddy lighting.

Also am i better off getting cables pre made or making my own cables to length?
Cables are easy, I'd make them up as I went along, but then it's easy when you have the tools and have hundreds of connections off. Depends what the price is and how within budget you want to keep it, premade is easier but can cost a bit. Making them yourself is loads cheaper if you have the tools. If you know the lengths you want let me know, I can soon make you up some RG59 cables with preterminated BNC's on each end, power cables are easy enough to do yourself, just chop the plugs off of the camera leads and extend to a power supply with some twin flex or doubled up 6\8 core alarm cables. I'm up in Sheffield quite often if you want any on site assistance (reasonable rates!).

Not sure how you jump to this incorrect conclusion Lurch?Doc H.
Nor me, Doc - But we'll have less of that please Lurch.

I can also fit some more lighting if that makes the cameras better. I was thinking of some LED Floors, i can get them at a very reasonable rate, on a PIR sensor near the camera.
Well those cameras have IR LED's built in, I've found some of them to be useless, and some slightly better. Case of suck it and see there.

With the existing lighting it's not far off, I'd probably have used MBF lighting myself, SON's work reasonably well but tend to make everything on the camera look a bit odd due to it all being orange. The MBF's give out a white\blue light so the cameras work better and you can actually see what's going on. The SON's and the IR LED's and also the camera can have random results, may be fine as is, may need to tweak a few bits.

Camera positions don;t look too bad, although I'd probably fit varifocal lenses, or on the gate camera at least so you can zoom in a bit onto the gate itself to provide some faces\reg no's.

Not sure how you jump to this incorrect conclusion Lurch?
You've not seen his work then.

With the existing lighting it's not far off, I'd probably have used MBF lighting myself, SON's work reasonably well but tend to make everything on the camera look a bit odd due to it all being orange. The MBF's give out a white\blue light so the cameras work better and you can actually see what's going on. The SON's and the IR LED's and also the camera can have random results, may be fine as is, may need to tweak a few bits.
The son lamps can be changed very easily, in my unit i have some other lights that i can fit, that take PLT lamps, so would give off a white light instead of orange, this is no problem at all to change if it would be better to have white light.

When you say camera on drive, have it so i can zoom, are we talking much more work to install something like this?

Although when they turn the top corner of the drive, we would get reg numbers any how.

When you say camera on drive, have it so i can zoom, are we talking much more work to install something like this? Although when they turn the top corner of the drive, we would get reg numbers any how.
I see, so you were thinking of having the 4th camera on the corner of the drive?

A varifocal lens is fitted to the camera so nothing different to fit it from an installation POV. Basically the only difference would be that the cameras you have linked to are fixed lenses so will see a fixed image area. A camera with a varifocal lens can be zoomed in or out on installation.

If the 4th camera is going on the corner of the drive then not so critical as you say, should be fine with fixed 3.5mm. As a guide though, if the cameras are fitted at the eaves and 3.5mm lenses are used then the area on the picture at ground level will be getting on for 15-20m square, which is fine for general 'what's that noise' but not so good for 'who is that'.

I see, so you were thinking of having the 4th camera on the corner of the drive? A varifocal lens is fitted to the camera so nothing different to fit it from an installation POV. Basically the only difference would be that the cameras you have linked to are fixed lenses so will see a fixed image area. A camera with a varifocal lens can be zoomed in or out on installation.

If the 4th camera is going on the corner of the drive then not so critical as you say, should be fine with fixed 3.5mm. As a guide though, if the cameras are fitted at the eaves and 3.5mm lenses are used then the area on the picture at ground level will be getting on for 15-20m square, which is fine for general 'what's that noise' but not so good for 'who is that'.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-Chipset-520TVL-Vari-lens-1-3-CCD-IR-CCTV-Camera-UK_W0QQitemZ290335109993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash=item4399523369#ht_4609wt_1165

Would these be better then?

Still in budget.

No there wouldnt be a camera at the top of the drive, on the picture ive uploaded, camera one is pointing towards the top of out drive (where cars come in) ones they get to the top of there and turn the corner, Camera 1 would be pointing directly at the car front. Reg plate wouldnt be an issue.

The cameras wont quite be at the heaves of the house, there all going to be on a gable end, so will be 3m from the floor level (out of reach of any idiots)

Yeah, they don't look too bad tbh. Be interested to see how they turn out.

No there wouldnt be a camera at the top of the drive, on the picture ive uploaded, camera one is pointing towards the top of out drive (where cars come in) ones they get to the top of there and turn the corner, Camera 1 would be pointing directly at the car front. Reg plate wouldnt be an issue. The cameras wont quite be at the heaves of the house, there all going to be on a gable end, so will be 3m from the floor level (out of reach of any idiots)
Gotcha. Either\or then, I would always tend to fit varifocals as it gives you a bit of scope at installation time, obviously there's a cost issue there as they cost more so up to you really. Probably won't be too bad with a 3.5mm lens if they're all around 3m high. If it were my money, I'd try and swing for the varifocals, but not at the expense of moving down the DVR range though.