Ccu Upgrade And Fire Detection Requirements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Peeps,

Can someone point me in the right direction, i've got it in my head that it is a requirement to install Fire Alarm Detection to Grade D, LD3 (as a minimum) standard when performing a CCU upgrade, but i can't seem to find any written documentation in any book which states this is a requirement when upgrading a CCU??

So'

1. Is it a requirement to install fire detection system when performing a CCU upgrade, or am i mistaken?
  2. If so where is this technically documented, i.e BS7671, GN, OSG...etc?
:Salute

Cheers in advance.

Aid

There is no requirement to have to install any additional fire safety services when doing routine maintenance on an existing installation such as replacing a consumer unit. New build or premises that are having significant alterations may need additional or new fire/smoke detection systems installed as part of their building regulations. But whilst it may be good practice to install or upgrade fire/smoke detection, if the client does not wish to pay for it, you are under no obligation to insist it is installed. You will not find a regulation in BS7671 stating that any fire safety systems must be installed only the guidance such as chapter 56 about how they should be wired if they are installed.  

Doc H.

You don't have to install smoke alarms when changing a CU .

The only requirement I'm aware of is a "Recomendation" to include them in a rewire .

Buidling regs ask for them on new builds....and major refurbs  like adding sleeping areas or loft extensions.  

Its not actually your responsibility as a an electrician to decide when to fit  ( As I see it )   Its the property owner / builder/  architect/ developer/ landlord, who should instruct you to install them  or not as the case may be .

I include them in all rewire quotes but have been told not to fit them on various occasions  .   Its stupid but   I am merely the hired help not The Electric Police. 

Edit;  Another of the Great Myths and Misunderstandings of  our trade ACR . 

Afterthought :-  I think the only obligation is to install main bonding if its not there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant cheers guys, so this is why i cannot find anything in literature :facepalm:

Makes sense too, for a general CCU upgrade i can put it forward as a recommendation.

Cheers again

Aid

Last edited by a moderator: