Fire Detection systems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smilers

Reaction score
Hi all,,

I have been asked to give 2 prices for a fire alarm and EM lighting system within a house that has been converted into 3 flats (basement, ground floor and 1st floor which has 2 levels). The customer doesnt know what he wants or needs Typical!!!

This is my 1st design and install of both fire detection system and EM lighting for myself anyway! - there are bonuses of having a boss tell you heres the plans and the materials call me if you have any problems see you in 2 days!! lol

So after doing a bit of reading initally i would have been plumbing for a Grade D LD2 system within the communal areas and the same within the flats so that each flat has its own little system - coverage in kitchen/living room/hallways/escape routes. I then read on and it had been suggested that in a flat containing more than 3 storeys I should be installing a grade A system with call points in communal areas and a heat at the exit of each flat and LD3 in each flat to protect sleeping occupants (non-interlinked).

I then read somewhere else that the landlord has not responsibility for multi occupancy converted flat/houses. perhaps communal areas only ? Now im confused!!

What responsibilty does the landlord have ?? communal areas only? or flats as well ? do the flats have to have a hardwired interlinked system seperate from the other flats or do you need to link all 3 flats together? what rooms within the flats should have coverage? Kitchen/bedrooms & areas that present a risk of fire eg small room with consumer unit in or kitchens?

i hope this makes sense guys i think i rambled on for a bit :put the kettle on

From what i could tell they have not done one sidey, although I have requested it from the agent.

Would a house with a with basement, ground floor 1st floor & 2nd floor be classed as 2 or 3 storey?

HMO require grade a. That means the house in one house with communal hall way and with no flat doors.

I think

From what i could tell they have not done one sidey, although I have requested it from the agent.Would a house with a with basement, ground floor 1st floor & 2nd floor be classed as 2 or 3 storey?
The number of floors is counted from the building exit level to the uppermost floor. So Basements are not included in the floor count.

:coffee

Latest posts