Central Heating Wiring 1.5Mm Or 1.0Mm?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
Why is it that manufacturers of boilers and heating controls etc..are all specifying 1.5mm cable when the maximum supply fuse is only 5A?

We are supposed to abide by MI's but I am unable to source any 5 core 1.5mm.

dave,

It is available, but perhaps not from your normal suppliers, plus, perhaps you only want a few m?

However, I do agree it is a bit of an overkill!

Andy,

I have some 7c 16mm offcuts in the unit! Along with some 10mm 5c.

I admit not for CH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a remote control for one of my welders a few weeks ago. I used 5 core 1.5mm  HO7rn for the cable. Was not very nice fitting it to a 14 pin amphenol plug though!!

I have extension leads made from 5 core 16mm HO7 too, bit chunkier, but ok.

These people here have piles of 5 core in all different types and sizes. https://www.electric-cable.com/

1mm, 5 core YY is only 66p a metre.... Not sure what sort of cable is needed, but suppose this stuff would do.. You can have it in 1mm, 25 core if you like...

john..

Why is it that manufacturers of boilers and heating controls etc..are all specifying 1.5mm cable when the maximum supply fuse is only 5A?

We are supposed to abide by MI's but I am unable to source any 5 core 1.5mm.
Redundant safety feature? In case someone forgets to put in a 5a fuse or replaces with a 13a one?I get 5core 1.5mm from a local plumbers merchant as they always have it and they are the cheapest place for ct1 also. ;)

To me its overkill TBH  ...I'd be looking for 0.5mm  or 1.00mm .    And as the Duck says , the plumber's merchant would certainly be more promising han my regular wholesaler.   

I got 10 reels of 1.5 x 4 core and 1.5 x 5 core for £5 each from THAT BIG ORANGE DIY PLACE WITH THE PISSH POOR APPALLING AFTER SALES WARRANTY AND HONOURING OF GUARANTEES IF SELF INSTALLING. So it made me feel slightly better that they had priced it wrong

Just.....recovering my costs and inconvenience one reel at a time

Latest posts