Certing other peoples jobs ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the NICEIC always stated that members should never certify jobs carried out by others. This was before Part P. I'm pretty sure the Part P providers are saying the same thing.

So how is it even an amateur can pay to have his work passed off by the LBC who probably send an NICEIC contractor to do it. ?

Deke

I remember the NICEIC always stated that members should never certify jobs carried out by others. This was before Part P. I'm pretty sure the Part P providers are saying the same thing.So how is it even an amateur can pay to have his work passed off by the LBC who probably send an NICEIC contractor to do it. ?

Deke
the person sent to inspect it doesnt cert as their own - they would notify LABC of their findings, who would then notify it

The councils dont have the technical ability for this so use a contractor (normally Niceic) to do this on their behalf. This is explained in the Part P document.
The Labc dont like doing it because they need to pay the contractor which eats up the fee the diyer has paid

they used to love me ,,,,,pay the

Who actually writes out and signs the EIC then , and, I reiterate, (word of the day) how come NICEIC who were always so against certifying others work , now appear to condone it .

Deke

The way it is supposed to happen is the NIC guy inspects first fix

comes back and inspects 2nd fix and certs it

not sure whether that happens

Who actually writes out and signs the EIC then , and, I reiterate, (word of the day) how come NICEIC who were always so against certifying others work , now appear to condone it .Deke
the NIC bloke doesnt certify it, he informs LABC if its satisfactory or not, probably on a PIR, or an EIC but as inspect & test only. LABC then certify it

the NIC bloke doesnt certify it, he informs LABC if its satisfactory or not, probably on a PIR, or an EIC but as inspect & test only. LABC then certify it
If not i think there is fine of

Sorry to drag this out but, does that mean the LABC are registered under the Part P scheme for competent enterprises and if so, which one are they registered with. AFAIK my LABC has no electrically trained staff at all. :eek:

Deke

Sorry to drag this out but, does that mean the LABC are registered under the Part P scheme for competent enterprises and if so, which one are they registered with. AFAIK my LABC has no electrically trained staff at all. :eek: Deke
LABC dont have to be registered with anyone (AFAIK). their building inspectors can sign off any work under building regs

Sorry to drag this out but, does that mean the LABC are registered under the Part P scheme for competent enterprises and if so, which one are they registered with. AFAIK my LABC has no electrically trained staff at all. :eek: Deke
Mine dont either

i had to explain to one the other week how the system of notifiying worked !!

All this bureaucracy reminds me of that old joke about the Soviet Union and the old East Germany. To buy a car you had to order it , the government would say you can collect a Trebant, in five years time on Thursday the 21st of January. The citizen writes back to say he can't collect as thats the day the plumber is coming !!!

Deke

Section 1.

Certification of notifiable work

sub-section c

paragraphs

Page 11 of Approved document P.

explains the above points where an installer is not qualified to complete an EIC.

from 1.27. Building control will NOT issue a BS7671 EIC! ;)

I was just going there mate....

LABC are verifying compliance with building regs, NOT 7671.

IF they have a property which has work done without the correct 7671 certs, they can contract out for a PIR.

NO-ONE can issue an EIC for work they did not do, under any circumstances, AFAIK

(runs back in the bunker quickish)