Changing Fluorescent Tubes To Led Tube?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk1rob

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of 600x600 fittings with 4x 2ft fluorescent tubes in them (the type you get in suspended ceilings). I see you can get 2ft LED tubes and just wondered if they are a direct replacement or do the ballasts need bypassing? Seems to be different answers on different sites.

Thanks

the ballast normally need by passing but with some LED tubes you can leave the magnetic ballast and change the starter for a link that normally comes with the tube.

ok thanks for the replies! Will look into changing the complete fitting then :)

its ok changing them for 40 quid led panels unless you need them to still have cat 2 louvers properties to reduce glare .

just saying :) 

not as straight forward as it sounds. Generally you need to by-pass ballast, but not on all LED tubes. But be wary, the light spread is  not the same, LED works by focussed frontal output, this doesn't always work when converting a fitting, changing fitting tends to be a better idea, but trial single unit first.

its ok changing them for 40 quid led panels unless you need them to still have cat 2 louvers properties to reduce glare .
You don't really get the same glare from LED panels in the first place, never seen anyone fitting cat 2 louvres to LED panels. Not really considered this before tbh.

They are for fluoro's unless the requirements have changed.

It is wrt glare on screens.

I await the outcome for LED's "glare" on screens...

They are for fluoro's unless the requirements have changed.

It is wrt glare on screens.

The original requirements were when all screens were 'gloss' glass (remember those matt clip on covers to stop reflections) i cant find any info relevant to todays screens. From memory cat 2 louvres were only needed if you were spending morecthan 4 hours at a monitor.