Changing meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are concerned about your assessment, then call your scheme and seek their guidance BUT be aware that the NICEIC and Elecsa will no longer reply to emails so anything they say it's not recorded.

I think that the schemes have far bigger issues on their hands than putting you down for not dealing with the supplier and getting them to work with you to change the tails. The reality is that they won't upgrade old 10 or 16mm fabric tails so if the existing tails are in good order then leave them.

The OSG shows schematics for new installations which I would follow for talks at 25mm but be aware that the guides for earthing and bonding for TT. systems is misleading or darn right wrong.

The schemes, yes all of them have totally and utterly failed in working together to get as United coherent policy with the suppliers and DNOs to have a simple policy irrespective of where you are and what we can do.

As competent sparks we should be trusted to do our jobs properly and safely, and if this means tugging a main fuse to ensure safe isolation then so be it!
Your right Murdoch, to be honest, sod em. I am quite happy to fight my corner if it comes down to it, and it probably won't. The last assessor I had was a great bloke, and I know he would not even bring it up, however my scheme also uses some subby's and the one before him was an absolute moron. I just like to try and do the best job possible, but I realise this has to be tempered by the constraints we find ourselves working in. I think, personally, that the likes of WPD probably don't give a sh1te, as they have no axe to grind regarding "tampering" anyway, so if any seal needs to evaporate its going to be theirs.

You said 5the cutout fuse was definitely 100amp, how do you know this if you haven't physically seen it,?

Even the faeries that live under NY shed agree with me, if you haven't witnessed it yourself you can't be certain.

Ok then, show me this Henley block then, I don't actually use many Henley blocks, just generic ISCOs, I can't see any on Henley website either, are they even rated at 100amp,? Maybe that's another non compliance for your cutout fuse, along with this massive issue about not having the gumption about what to do.....
Stop being so pedantic, every one else seems to recognise what I am referring to, Henley, ISCO, you know very well what I mean. and how would you expect to see one probably installed circa 19?? on a website? Read my post regarding the cutout size, and like I said, if you have nothing useful to say, keep your trap shut.

Post #17

How do you know this definitely,?

Do you actually know what a Henley is,?

Its a lot like a Lucy,

So saying it only takes 16mm tails, is it even rated at 100amp,?

Maybe its a solid link you have, or a bit of galv conduit,? :C

If you really want me to say something constructive, I'd advise that you get someone competent to show you how to sort it, and for you to stop being such a keyboard warrior. 

I've seen ISCOs installed circa 1930, they wouldn't take 25mm tails either, I think they were made for imperial cables though, :|  so no metric cables fitted,! ;)

I've got some old "Henley" blocks in my van, all rated to take between 6 & 35mm cable. 

Just saying!

... on the subject of the assessment unless you get a real regs book shagger, I don't think you will have a problem with 16mm tails.

We live in the real world, not in a cosy (gold plated) office where the regs are written. I think at least my assessor's have understood this.

:|

Hi John, interesting comments and bad luck with the timing! Now, I am interested in your comments regarding removing cutout seals and/or meter seals.

I realise both are illegal, but as has been said, we have a living to make. I just don't get the idea that removing DNO cutout seals is relatively OK but removing meter seals is a massive no-no. Most of the time, if you have to upgrade meter tails, you have to remove the meter seal (unless I am missing something?). If the DNO come out to fit an isolator they do it after the meter, obviously. Problem I have is there is literally no room to fit the blooming thing before the henley block.

Thinking about it, last time I did one they couldn't get the 16mm tails out of the meter so just put them straight into the isolator they provided, in which case, should I ever get quizzed over it, I will just relay something along the same lines.

Has anyone ever heard of any sparky being prosecuted for allegedly tampering with seals??

If the metering company were to try and insinuate that a particular customer had obtained "free" electricity by bypassing the meter, they would have to demonstrate physical evidence, or submit lowered meter readings over a period of time, or both, surely?

I think the thing with the seals is that the DNO realise that often the best thing to do, for various reasons, is to remove the fuses, BUT the metering people are of the opinion that if you needed to isolate the installation, you would remove the fuses ["which do not belong to us"] therefore, it follows, that according to them, the ONLY reason to remove meter seals is to tamper with the thing...

IF you remove the meter seals to fit new tails [from meter to CU] i do not know what they could do. You would be obliged to tell them, as otherwise if someone DID try to obtain a free supply they would try to say you "permitted" it. Apart from that despite all their bluster, i do not think they could do anything, after all, the tails DO NOT BELONG TO THEM.

As for;

"If the metering company were to try and insinuate that a particular customer had obtained "free" electricity by bypassing the meter, they would have to demonstrate physical evidence, or submit lowered meter readings over a period of time, or both, surely?"

They can usually tell, they look for burn marks and the like. The same bloke that fitted the two sets of seals took the fuse carriers to bits, took out the fuses, and microscopically [not literally] examined them.... Anyway, they would send one of their boffins to court to argue their case.

Usually though, if they think there is something funny going on they will come with the police and a warrant. I knew a girl once that had bypassed [or tried to] her meter with a bit of telly co-axial aerial cable!!

Now, i AM clever, but a bit slow, and lettuced at social things and "mindreading" [I have aspergers]

Anyway, I am in this girls house. [I had no idea about the meter] There is a knock at the door and she tells me to answer it and not to let them in. I had no idea who it was.. I answer the door and it was a chap from SWALEC come to read the meter. I explained that i could not let him in as it was not my house, and, that the house owner had instructed me not to let anybody in. [Told you i was slow!!!!]

Meter man came back the next day with the police, The girl was out, and when she returned home there was a polite letter on the table to tell her they had broken in and taken away her meter for examination, and, if you want your power back on it will be £300..

She was a druggie halfwit. Social services gave her the money. She spent it on drugs. Social services gave her another £300. She spent that on drugs. Social services paid it themselves then.

"ordinary" people struggle to get help and support, druggies can do no wrong and come FAR above old people and ill people in the social services list of priorities.....

john..

Ok, seals...

Some time ago, the seal fairy came to my house, problem was, so did the meter reader at the same time!! I merely explained i had to pull the fuses, [they were out at the time]

Meter reader said they would have to report it. Ok, no worries.. Me being helpful said that i would go and see swalec myself and get new ones. The meter reader said all he had to do was to press a button on his contraption, and that would report it.

Ok, so off i go to swalec. They were NOT IN THE LEAST BIT INTERESTED and said that the cutout did not belong to them, and, no, they would not be coming out to reseal it, but added that; "we DO fit seals to cutouts if we change the meter or whatever, but otherwise not our equipment, and not interested..." I inquired, "are you sure????" Make no mistake, they were sure and could not care a lettuced..

Ok, fine.. So then i go and see the local friendly WPD chaps and asked if they had any seals they could fit on for me. They just laughed and said; "We know who you are anyway" and "We know what you are up to, you have been doing lots of welding again!!!"

So, do not worry about seals on cutouts in the least, BUT, as has been pointed out, you remove the meter seals and you will be in trouble big time.

Others may disagree. but hey ho....

When they DID change the meter though, they fritted seals to both ends of the carrier, top and bottom. Never seen this before, go you think they are trying to be funny???

john...
I find that quite common Apprettii  .....some of the fuse carriers can be pulled half way out with just a seal at the bottom but the top blade is exposed and still live.  

Last edited by a moderator:
They tend to do that to stop people trying to isolate by pulling the filuse halfway , then levering it to isolate and end up breaking the lugs off,

They HATE broken lugs,!!!;

If in the interest of working safely you have to cut the seal(s) and pull a main fuse, check the carrier first.

Some l have come across would fall apart in your hand.

If you deem it safe to remove then do so.

When you've done what you need to make sure there will be no load on the fuse when you replace it i.e. Everything is Turned Off.

Carefully replace the fuse and fit new seals.

This a safety issue rather than not getting caught for pulling the fuse.

How would you feel if a child had pulled a main fuse from the cupboard under the stairs because you couldn't be bothered to reseal it?

If certain people spent as much thought on the job in hand as they do arguing about who is right the world might be a safer place.

They should also think about the questions they ask as in " If I have to ask this question am I a suitable person to be doing this particular job? "

Peoples lives depend on what you do and safe working practice is not a matter of opinion it is a clearly defined procedure.

If you're not up to it don't do it.

Safety First Every Time!!

What do you mean by carefully replace the fuse?

If there’s a downstream fault, dithering about will make matters worse. By quickly pushing the holder in with the palm of the hand means you can’t quickly retract the fuse holder under fault conditions. If there is a fault, ****** off out of the way and let the fuse deal with it, never try to the withdraw the fuse.

This a safety issue rather than not getting caught for pulling the fuse.

How would you feel if a child had pulled a main fuse from the cupboard under the stairs because you couldn't be bothered to reseal it?

If certain people spent as much thought on the job in hand as they do arguing about who is right the world might be a safer place.

They should also think about the questions they ask as in " If I have to ask this question am I a suitable person to be doing this particular job? "

Peoples lives depend on what you do and safe working practice is not a matter of opinion it is a clearly defined procedure.

If you're not up to it don't do it.

Safety First Every Time!!
You worry about a child pulling the main fuse and putting their fingers in?

I take it, as a matter of principle you never fit ES or BC lamp holders where said child can unscrew the lamp and insert their fingers?  It still astonishes me that such things are still made and an alternative such as the GU10 base with shrouded contacts is not the defacto normal lamp base these days.

What do you mean by carefully replace the fuse?

If there’s a downstream fault, dithering about will make matters worse. By quickly pushing the holder in with the palm of the hand means you can’t quickly retract the fuse holder under fault conditions. If there is a fault, ****** off out of the way and let the fuse deal with it, never try to the withdraw the fuse.

Carefully as in don't wrap your fingers round it but do pay attention to what you're doing.

Not dither about indecisively.

That sort of carefully. 

You worry about a child pulling the main fuse and putting their fingers in?

I take it, as a matter of principle you never fit ES or BC lamp holders where said child can unscrew the lamp and insert their fingers?  It still astonishes me that such things are still made and an alternative such as the GU10 base with shrouded contacts is not the defacto normal lamp base these days.

Is the main fuse rcd protected?

Is the light fitting rcd protected in the majority of older houses?

This is a strawman argument but l have to say no it probably isn't.

So do you think because a light fitting isn't protected by an rcd in an older installation that it's a good idea not to reseal the main fuse?

The idea is to leave everything as safe as you can.

We better start putting padlocks on toilets too,

What if that kids sibling stuck their head down the toilet and drowned themselves,?!?! 

It is possible, :C

Yes, i know where you are coming from, but we live in a world where someone trespasses on your propertie and hurts themselves you will get sued.. Never mind in theory it is a legal impossibility [No court shall come to the aid of a man who founds his case on illegality] but you try to tell that to the judge.. [Google "Newberry" and "garden shed"]

john..

We better start putting padlocks on toilets too,

What if that kids sibling stuck their head down the toilet and drowned themselves,?!?! 

It is possible, :C

Yes it is possible and probably has been done.

Do you think that is a good reason to leave a main fuse unsealed so a child is able to remove it and put their fingers in the hole resulting in probable death?

Aren't we supposed to make our work safe to prevent fire and electric shock?

Isn't that our primary aim?

I'm surprised experienced electricians are putting rubbish like this on an open forum.

Yes of course we should seal a main fuse just in case an unusually strong child pulls it out.

Yet you think it's okay to fit a lamp holder with unshrouded contacts that they can put their fingers in?

Life is not without risks.