Changing meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes of course we should seal a main fuse just in case an unusually strong child pulls it out.

Yet you think it's okay to fit a lamp holder with unshrouded contacts that they can put their fingers in?

Life is not without risks.

Back to the strawman argument again.

Do YOU think its ok to fit a lamp holder with unshrouded contacts that children can put their fingers in?

Do you advise your customers to this effect?

Tell me please, I'm interested.

Yes it is possible and probably has been done.

Do you think that is a good reason to leave a main fuse unsealed so a child is able to remove it and put their fingers in the hole resulting in probable death?

Aren't we supposed to make our work safe to prevent fire and electric shock?

Isn't that our primary aim?

I'm surprised experienced electricians are putting rubbish like this on an open forum.
But you think its ok to promote the illegal activity of cutting cutout seals and pulling the main fuse,?

Work safe, by all means, but do it properly, get an isolator fitted via the proper channels, if you aren't prepared to do it properly, then, maybe you shouldn't be doing it at all.........

OK, well I think it is rude when the OP does not respond, following other members comments, so I will do so, hopefully in properly punctuated, coherent and easily readable text.

I thought this was supposed to be "the friendly forum". Well, iv'e got news for you, it ain't.

In fact, I have never read such up your own arse, critical nonsense from, admittedly, a few obviously retired or otherwise self-opinionated, prickly and pedantic pillocks in all my life.

Some of the latter responses to my original question are quite frankly beyond belief, I think some of you need to look at some of your responses and have a serious think about things.

Anyway, I think I will refrain from asking questions on here in the future, it is clearly not a very good idea and provides ammunition for all the grumpy old buggers to start getting excited. Pity really, as with most things in life, it is always the few that mess it up for the rest. Probably discourages many from getting decent advice, oh well, that's internet forums for you.

"Pro Dave", I have to single you out in the above criticise, thanks for some useful input.

Good evening.

what if the child was getting his coat off the hook above the meter and head and used them as a step to reach his coat and wooly hat.

what if the child was getting his coat off the hook above the meter and head and used them as a step to reach his coat and wooly hat.
You are an irresponsible parent with a badly educated child,

Much like the parents that use 'socket covers' to keep their children 'safe' 

But you think its ok to promote the illegal activity of cutting cutout seals and pulling the main fuse,?

Work safe, by all means, but do it properly, get an isolator fitted via the proper channels, if you aren't prepared to do it properly, then, maybe you shouldn't be doing it at all.........

Very good point Steptoe and of course you are absolutely right.

The fact is that people will do it because sometimes its the easy or perhaps only option.

Have you never done it?

My point was about doing it safely rather the legal aspect.

The stuff about light fittings and drowning in toilets seems pointless argument for the sake of it.

I won't bother in future.

OK, well I think it is rude when the OP does not respond, following other members comments, so I will do so, hopefully in properly punctuated, coherent and easily readable text.

I thought this was supposed to be "the friendly forum". Well, iv'e got news for you, it ain't.

In fact, I have never read such up your own arse, critical nonsense from, admittedly, a few obviously retired or otherwise self-opinionated, prickly and pedantic pillocks in all my life.

Some of the latter responses to my original question are quite frankly beyond belief, I think some of you need to look at some of your responses and have a serious think about things.

Anyway, I think I will refrain from asking questions on here in the future, it is clearly not a very good idea and provides ammunition for all the grumpy old buggers to start getting excited. Pity really, as with most things in life, it is always the few that mess it up for the rest. Probably discourages many from getting decent advice, oh well, that's internet forums for you.

"Pro Dave", I have to single you out in the above criticise, thanks for some useful input.

Good evening.

As for some of the regulars, you get used to them eventually, and alcohol has a lot to do with things at weekends..... :slap

One concern I have is your screen name “part time paul”. Part time in what sense? Is electrical work secondary to your main occupation?

So many amateurs/DIYers try to pass themselves as qualified to get help, some members will help, others like me are more guarded in giving hard won knowledge.

My main occupation was electrical, I had a second occupation as a commercial photographer for which I was also fully qualified. Until I proved my self with other professional photographers I was an outsider.

Matey, you need thicker skin and don't get so defensive with the responses you get.

There have been many sensible thoughts on this post and there are responses that you could have given and have chosen not to.......

Its a 2 way street, the more you contribute, the more you will gain.

Just saying.

I dont speed,

I never use my phone while driving,

I never do cash jobs without a receipt,

I never cut seals,

I never pull the fuse,

I never change meter tails.

:innocent

One concern I have is your screen name “part time paul”. Part time in what sense? Is electrical work secondary to your main occupation?

So many amateurs/DIYers try to pass themselves as qualified to get help, some members will help, others like me are more guarded in giving hard won knowledge.

My main occupation was electrical, I had a second occupation as a commercial photographer for which I was also fully qualified. Until I proved my self with other professional photographers I was an outsider.

What a sadly typical, unhelpful and self important post. It was yours originally that gave me a hint of what sort of forum this was likely to be. You and Steptoe make a great pair. 36DD I would suggest. 

Maybe you actually don't have much of a clue of the real world, it certainly seems like you don't operate in it. At least you got the grumpy bit right.

If you can't make any useful or sensible comments, just **** ***. Would you make allegations of this sort face to face?

I will now take my leave of this place, thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised no one has suggested just grabbing the live tail and sticking it in a new Henley, its only 230V, not as if its going to chase you down the road.

Just sayin..