changing my consumer unit for elecsa audit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cable markers would be nice, but it's one of those expenses that you can't quite justify over more important tools. I've wanted one of those brother labelling machines for ages.

I have never had to pay for a isolator to be fitted usually done by eon / central networks in coventry area various suppiers never had problem.

I use a Sharpie to mark T&E and tend to mark both sides. Now then, I've always wondered though does the ink affect the sheath? Might sound pedantic but you're always told about sheaths being damaged by contact with some some insulations and when buried direct in cement without capping...........so why not permanent marker ink?

I use a Sharpie to mark T&E and tend to mark both sides. Now then, I've always wondered though does the ink affect the sheath? Might sound pedantic but you're always told about sheaths being damaged by contact with some some insulations and when buried direct in cement without capping...........so why not permanent marker ink?
I do not think your being pedantic, you should always consider damage caused by you during erection. However I would not worry various makes of markers have been used for years with no reported side effects.

I use labels when possible, most wiring I install is LSOF cables so its just as easy using a ball point pen, which causes no damage at all. Everyone should have in their tool chest a label machine of sorts, if you only do domestics then you will seldom need cable markers.

i have a brother PT2460

one feature is panel labels, so you can print a label for the MCB descriptions in one long strip, each part the width on a MCB

Denmans are giving away a brother pt1005 when 3 mk consumer units are purchased together this month.

I got mine from LIDL for

Recap / update on my tribulations with EDF: Rang them Weds 4th about getting an isolator fitted. First they said we don't do it you need to talk to the DNO, UK Networks. Phoned them and UK said no, its definitely EDF. Rang EDF back and they promised to call me Thursday 5th. Having had no call on Thurs I rang them at 4pm. After saying "Well, it's still early!" they promised to call me today..........which they did! V.nice man left a message saying it would cost

Last edited by a moderator:
EDF don't do isolators very often. I think i have only ever seen one on a job and i have seen hundreds.
Well, they need to as locally my mate wants one fitted prior to some CU upgrading and when I do my parents house ditto though I think, fingers crossed that he, my Dad, gets his juice from British Gas now! I have a feeling that BG include for the supply and fitting of the isolator for around the

could always get them to come disconnect supply, and have a REC2 ready on wall so when they arrive, they can remove fuse, you can quickly connect tails to REC2 and they can put the fuse back. then they dont have to come back later

is that a 100mA RCD?

then I wouldnt bother having an REC2 fitted,

if its only a 30mA then it needs replacing, but otherwise its not worth the hassle.

is that a 100mA RCD?then I wouldnt bother having an REC2 fitted,

if its only a 30mA then it needs replacing, but otherwise its not worth the hassle.
Yes its a 30mA. Consumer unit at the mo is in an open fronted porch high up against the ceiling. New one going in the hall at a comfortable height so I can sit on a stool in front of it and my tea won't get cold! :)

Yep, that's the plan! I can switch the stand alone RCD off and leave it "hanging" with the live tails on the other side. Then I can fit the new RCD & enclosure AND the new Wylex REC unit. Was wondering if I should fit some tails to the REC to go into the meter, that we it will all be all new colours on the tails and 25mm sq.Only a stop gap until I fit a new CU.

Cheers
I wouldn't bother changing the tails between the meter and the isolator. when the power is off cut the existing tail and fit that into your isolators supply side. Then use 25mm if you want to to feed the CU/RCD, note it on install cert as 25mm supply cable. NIC, Elecsa etc aren't going to be interested as anything up to the isolator is the suppliers responsibilty.

I work for the sub-contractor that fits Western Power's isolators, although I don't personally install them. I know the guys that do installations, and they use the existing 16mm tails to feed the isolator as WPD deems this to be sufficient. I then have to fit 25mm tails for the next foot to reach the CU, which is a bit of joke really as most main fuses are 60 or 80 Amps.

I wouldn't bother changing the tails between the meter and the isolator. when the power is off cut the existing tail and fit that into your isolators supply side. Then use 25mm if you want to to feed the CU/RCD, note it on install cert as 25mm supply cable. NIC, Elecsa etc aren't going to be interested as anything up to the isolator is the suppliers responsibilty.I work for the sub-contractor that fits Western Power's isolators, although I don't personally install them. I know the guys that do installations, and they use the existing 16mm tails to feed the isolator as WPD deems this to be sufficient. I then have to fit 25mm tails for the next foot to reach the CU, which is a bit of joke really as most main fuses are 60 or 80 Amps.
they are only responsible upto and including the meter

I've been told by the people doing the isolator install they(WPD) are responsible for the incoming side of the switch, as they seal the cover on the isolator. If I'm wrong then I've been mis-informed.

I've been told by the people doing the isolator install they(WPD) are responsible for the incoming side of the switch, as they seal the cover on the isolator. If I'm wrong then I've been mis-informed.
there is an option to seal REC2's, but there is no requirement. you could easily remove the seal if you wanted to. its not as if you can steal leccy or anything. the seal is probably just to stop you getting at the live side

IF DNO want to take responsibility upto the isolator, then let them