Charging for house sale EICR,s

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any one care to comment on this ?  

After callers started droppping the phone as they keeled over when I said we charge £200   for local , 3 bed semi, furnished,  I told the last three the charge would be £180  .

This resulted in the same reaction ...the last two said they'd been told to expect £50 !!!

Am I losing the plot or what ?

I don't expect guys to show what they charge but a simple  "Higher ...Lower "  would help.        

I find them a PITA ...TBH   but  knees are limiting what I do these days  ....I try for a couple of easy jobs a week now .

So this week :-

Mon.  Take scrap cable to scrap dealers .

Tues.  Day off.

Wed.  Door entry phone for disabled guy.

Thurs. Converting kitchen downlights to GU10s

Fri.   Shopping with the missus.

I charge less, but not that much less. £50 would get a visual and firk all else. Next time you get a call like that, suggest they call you when the 'tester' finds £600 of remedial works that are essential for safety....

Higher than a fiftyyyyy......

Oh well played my love......

just reminding kerching!

No, higher than £200.

I charge less, but not that much less. £50 would get a visual and firk all else. Next time you get a call like that, suggest they call you when the 'tester' finds £600 of remedial works that are essential for safety....

TBH Binky,

I doubt that £50 would even get me on to site these days!

My minimum charge is £100 plus mileage now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just glad I am not in the domestic market.  But if we were to be asked it would be a days work so about £300.  If there was going to be a very high chance of remedial works and they were going to be earners then go keen in at £150-£200.

Thing is Essex, I realise what you are saying, but, working for the house seller, what chance have you of getting the remedial works from the buyer really?

I have a different business model also, I don't "want" the remedial works TBH, I only want the I&T, as I want to become impartial.

Plus I would like to do two lots of I&T, the before & after, to make sure that it is right.

My body can't cope with the remedial works these days, 30+ years of it has taken its toll on me.

Fair comment about the impartial thing.  Problem is a lot are doing this.  The last big ET&I I tendered for I lost by £500.  The company that did it ended up with £50k+ worth of remedial works.  

The next stage is due for tender now so I am going very, very keen.  I know this is an extreme example but you get the jist.

I also see where you are coming from Essex, but, I don't want the remedials, so please see where I am.

I would set out from the start in any tender I was writing that I would not be giving any remedial works to the I&T company and would not tolerate any "sour grapes" from the remedial company.

I would be looking for total impartiality and total compliance with regs as a MINIMUM, from both parties.

I charge between £25-50 per cercuit, consumer unit, switch fuse

One of my old neighbours who was selling asked me to test there 5 bed house with 2 consumer units + 13 circuits in total.

I said £250-300 and could take all day.

Estate agent offered them someone who does any property for £150 fixed fee. I sugested the go with £150 man as they were only selling.

`I was told the electrician did it in 2 hours including completing the certificate on an iPad.

A 'by the book' EICR on an average house (8 - 10 circuits) would take me at least half a day so if I was self- employed I would charge at least £250.

Anybody who does the same job in 2 hours will be taking short cuts, eg, no IR tests - just type 200+ Megohms, subtracting Ze from Zs and use for R1 + R2, only doing 1 ring continuity test or just measuring L-L/ N-N and guessing the rest OR just guessing all the results !.

4 times a year I sit in a dentists chair for 10 minutes whilst a dental hygienist will scale and polish my teeth and charge me £30. £30 for 10 minutes equates to £180 an hour for what is described on the invoice as a 'professional service'. No disrespect intended against dental hygienists but I think that a time- served electrician who has spent 4 years + years of experience to become a professional thoroughly deserves to be paid a 'professional rate' for 'professional services' - all the more for a service which could save lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts