Charging for house sale EICR,s

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone would consider themselves a proffesional surely?

at £500 a day I doubt you are very busy?

Everyone would consider themselves a proffesional surely?

at £500 a day I doubt you are very busy?
As I indicated on the first line of my post, I am not self employed, thankfully I have a well paid employed post.... but if I was self employed, I would rather walk away and lose money than have to take short cuts on an EICR.

My point was that I think a time served electrician is as professional as other professionals who charge much higher rates.

there is a tendancy to underate our real worth, and people fighting for work doesn't help. I've moved the business away from the 'rock-bottom' end of things, but I have over 11 years worth of customers and enough accreditataions to do that now.

I think we have the jib to thank for that as they set the employed rate and offer a self employed rate which many larger employers and agency's tend to use a a benchmark, only if you are truely self employed can you vary this but you then have a multitude of less intelligent sparks as businessmen who will forever undercut without realising the true cost. 

I had a call asking if I could do an EICR today - I gave them my day rate and said if anyone offered to do it for less it may not be worth the paper its written/printed on.

About 45 minutes later they called back and booked me!

Now to try and find time to do it!

Yes we're highly taxed ...if you look at the taxes taken before an employed person even sees his wages....then the fuel tax on gas etc....VAT on almost everything he buys.....  VAT on his petrol then his Road Fund Tax   and even a tax on his car insurance policy. 

It was said during the John Major government that an unskilled or semi skilled employed worker, with average family, rent or mortgage, small car, has virtually nothing left " Jangling in his pocket "  to spend on a small personal item .   

this has been a big bug-bear of mine for decades. OOOHHH we have reduced income tax, but we have taxed everything you spend your taxed money on, net result complicated tax regimes that COST more money to run than just taxing wages in the first place. X(

I dont know why we aren't just issued tax free purchase vouchers instead of being given a wage, that way tax could be abolished on what you purchase as all tax would be taken at source!!!

Obviously tax has to be paid to run the country  , NHS etc.   The first income tax was raised , I believe , to fund an army to fight Napoleon . 

I 'd guess the biggest tax earner is Petrol & diesel .     And a big earner must be from a PAYE worker .

He gets his wages  ................................... 20% say goes to taxman

He gets his wages......................................NI goes to taxman .

He stops for petrol .................................... Fuel tax & VAT  goes to taxman.

He buys some fags .................................... Another Kerching! to taxman.

At home he renews TV license.................... Another big Kerching! to Taxman . Small amount to BBC.

He renews his car tax ...................................Kerching!!  Mr Taxman .

He goes for a pint .......................................  Kerching !!!   VAT man 

Next day he buys new washing M/c ...............Kerching !!   VAT man .

Plumber plumbs it up , sends bill  ................. Kerching !!   VAT man & Mr Taxman

His missus has ordered that TV series on DVD ....Kerching !!!  VAT man

No wonder people go on the hey diddle diddle .

Last edited by a moderator:
Now what's that saying????

cash is king 

wonder why that is? Call me cynical but there's a reason they promote payments without the use of cash. 

Personally I deal in cash. 

Any one care to comment on this ?  

After callers started droppping the phone as they keeled over when I said we charge £200   for local , 3 bed semi, furnished,  I told the last three the charge would be £180  .

This resulted in the same reaction ...the last two said they'd been told to expect £50 !!!

Am I losing the plot or what ?

I don't expect guys to show what they charge but a simple  "Higher ...Lower "  would help.        

Back to the original question....

I've got an EICR booked in for Friday, new owner just bought the house wants the electrics checked over.

I quoted from £125 if I can get it done in half a day up to £250 if it takes a full day...

I haven't been inside the place yet , but its an average detached property (probably 3-bed maybe 4)

only down the road, (I could walk there in 10mins) so no travel or mileage as such....

So I would say you are NOT losing the plot saying £200 as I'm only the other side of Brum from where you are.

Guinness :C  

Latest posts