College question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kli1

Reaction score
I have to decide what type of lamps to use for a lighting scheme for a car workshop with multiple car service bays. The area is 27.5m X12.4m.

I have worked out the total lumens has to be 355208.33lm.

I am not sure if I should choose to use hp sodium lamps or fluorescents.

Can anyone tell me what would be typically used?

You dont mention the height. if there was plenty of headroom then hi bay HP Sodium or even MH if low then fluorescents
Sorry forgot to write that, the height is 3m.

I have worked in a few audi workshops and the layout there is fluorescents on the roof, with wall mounted fluorescents in each working bay. Very good well lit setup, not sure on lumens or design, but I can say in practice they work.

Could there be any points in this question relating to awareness of the stroboscopic effect of certain lamps when used around rotating and moving parts?

Doc H.

Remembering back to my college days, It's all about not putting all the lights on 1 phase..

Could there be any points in this question relating to awareness of the stroboscopic effect of certain lamps when used around rotating and moving parts?Doc H.
I don't think the question wants me to consider this, I have to basically consider what fittings to use so that I can work out how many fittings there will be and how they will be spaced out then finally make a sketch to show this.

As SON fittings give off a orange light this may be the wrong colour for a car workshop.

If fluorescents are on different phases this will cancel out any stroboscopic effect but for close up work mechanics would have a lead light whilst working in an engine compartment.

Knowing college, thy won't want you to go into too much details but maybe making a side not on strobe effects wouln't hurt.

As for answering your initial question I'm afraid I cannot help.

Sorry